Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rockwood Lump Charcoal Sale-10% off thru 6/27-see below

Options
lousubcap
lousubcap Posts: 32,393
edited June 2022 in EggHead Forum

Rockwood Charcoal- linked here: https://rockwoodcharcoal.com 

Independence Day

Prep Sale!

Ends Monday 6/27 at Midnight EST!

Use code LIBERTY10 to save

Edit: no affiliation here-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• The_Canuck
    The_Canuck Posts: 56
    Options
    I get that not everyone has an Ace nearby, but man I struggle to spend $15 more on a 3-pack via Rockwood's website with their discount (almost $26 without discount).  I will continue to support the company by buying their product as I love it.  Just wish that even with the subscription program they have, it would be cheaper or the same price as the local Ace or any other store that carries them.
    Large BGE - Thanks Knob Creek

Louisville, KY
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    I get that not everyone has an Ace nearby, but man I struggle to spend $15 more on a 3-pack via Rockwood's website with their discount (almost $26 without discount).  I will continue to support the company by buying their product as I love it.  Just wish that even with the subscription program they have, it would be cheaper or the same price as the local Ace or any other store that carries them.
    Shipping.....sometimes we're spending upwards of $65 to ship a 3-bag box not including the cost of the box itself and the labor to package it.  Ace buys by the truckload and distributes it themselves, or their trucks by the pallet.  There is no way we will ever be able to have home delivery of our charcoal for the same price or below retail.  The cost of fedex and ups is way too expensive.
  • The_Canuck
    The_Canuck Posts: 56
    Options
    I get that. Probably came across harsher than intended and I apologize if it did. As I said since my first bag almost 9 years ago I have never jumped ship. Always loved the consistency and the burn. Whether it’s through you guys directly or Ace I am supporting you. Even if I may have come across negatively. 
    Large BGE - Thanks Knob Creek

Louisville, KY
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Nearly $30 at my Ace…
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @The_Canuck - Please PM me with your local source as the closest ACE I know is a good 15 miles away in Crestwood.  Thanks in advance-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Corv
    Corv Posts: 369
    Options
    I went through 3 bags of RW because of the great rep it has here. What I found was consistently tiny pieces of charcoal, generally smaller than 2" in any dimension, with a few larger pieces and probably 50% tiny pieces. The last bag, the stuff in the last quarter of the bag was too small to use and I had to toss it out.
    I switched to a different brand and thus far have been satisfied. But it's too soon to be certain since it's a large bag and I've only used it a few times.
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 940
    edited June 2022
    Options
    @Corv

"I went through 3 bags of RW because of the great rep it has here. What I found was consistently tiny pieces of charcoal, generally smaller than 2" in any dimension, with a few larger pieces and probably 50% tiny pieces. The last bag, the stuff in the last quarter of the bag was too small to use and I had to toss it out"

So you are consistently getting  tiny pieces smaller than 2" in any dimension (it's a bold statement as nobody has ever measured anything in the fourth dimension and we don't yet know if anything from the fourth dimension is bigger or not. It could be that, as dimensions get further away from the twos and threes, they get more dense ...  in which case we may never get the information we need out of them, even if we tortured dimension four, or if we tortured dimension two and three and made dimension four watch, or if we made dimension two torture dimension three and made dimension four watch, or if we made dimension three torture dimension two and we made dimension four watch) 

There's a natural progression in all of this, that was my point.

• 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    One often pays for convenience.  For me, it is totally worth it.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    I get that. Probably came across harsher than intended and I apologize if it did. As I said since my first bag almost 9 years ago I have never jumped ship. Always loved the consistency and the burn. Whether it’s through you guys directly or Ace I am supporting you. Even if I may have come across negatively. 
    Best part about Ace and other local dealers is the fact that the charcoal travels on a pallet, and is moved around by forklifts.  So it's not thrown around by human hands, and doesn't have a bunch of other boxes stacked on top of it.  Usually arrives in better shape, assuming that when employees do depalletize it, they're not throwing it around.

I delivered a small order of 20# bags to a local grocery store the other day.  The kid met me at the dock, grabbed the first one of the back of my truck, and threw it 10ft into the stock room like it was a bag of trash.  I asked him if he did the same thing when the egg truck, fruit truck, or with any other delivery.....NO.  So why the hell are you doing that with my product?
  • Tarpon65
    Tarpon65 Posts: 205
    Options
    Nearly $30 at my Ace…
    Every $5.00 off coupon I get goes towards a bag of Rockwood.  Seems I get two a month either through the mail or on the Ace app.  Love the Rockwood compared to a bunch of the cheaper stuff I can find down here in Sarasota. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    True to form, today I received a box of Rockwood delivered by that incompetent FedEx outfit.  Written in large letters on the box just below the address tag, "Leave by garage".  Yep, the rocket scientist left it at front door, a good 75 foot further hike with the box. 
    I only hope that contract negotiations get them back with UPS as I understand a bottom-line business decision.  
    Never pass up an opportunity to take a shot at FedEx!