Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spring adjustment

Options
I have a 10 or 12 year old egg, but early last year replaced the bands with the new style as well as the gasket. Everything was great but a week ago had problems with the fire getting too hot and realized I has a slight gap in the back. I followed this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMB3Ky0NXQQ which was straightforward and helpful.

When I tighten all the screws everything seems perfect, but ... when I reattach the springs (the last step) the gap reappears. Any thoughts on what I can do before I start randomly trying things? Thanks

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Typically if you will just close your dome, loosen the bands enough so that you can shove the dome down against the base and then tighten the bands that should solve the problem. HTH
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    When you buy a new egg, they come with those bands.  They also come with little plastic spacers that are meant to keep the gap between the bands even all the way around.  Your gap looks perfect in the rear, near the bolts, but how does it look in relation to the edges of the ceramic all the way around?

You should have very similar ceramic below the top band and above the bottom band.  If that is perfect, it should be good when you reattach the springs.

Also, just a side comment, but your carriage bolt heads should be seated in the square holes.  Otherwise, if heat or something else causes them to seat later, your bands will loosen by the amount of that current gap.

Good luck!

Clinton, Iowa
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Here is a picture showing how the little spacers should work, and a measurement to shoot for.  1mm looks right.

Clinton, Iowa
  • seanwiley
    seanwiley Posts: 27
    Options
    Ok, thanks all. I had eyeballed the gap, but let me go back and actually measure it. And I will try to adjust the bands without undoing the springs to see if that works too