Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wash yer Meat!

Options
Botch
Botch Posts: 15,471
Ran across this Kenji video, on stir-fry technique, that I hadn't seen before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KNlXt0u_5o

I've seen him wash matchsticked pork on a channel, "Babish wants to be Botch", or something like that.  Here he does it to beef.  I've never tried this, but soon will.  I've been stir-frying since Kenji was in gradeschool, but he also added some baking soda to the meat, something I've also heard of but have never tried (decades ago I'd also tried adding cornstarch to the beef pre-cooking, but I couldn't see a difference; this was from an HP Book called "Chinese Cookery" by Rose Chen, where I learned most of the stuff and I also had a few books from that HP series, long out of print now).  
Anyhoo, thought it was a pretty interesting video; enjoy.  

Oh, and that chunk of beef he cooked up?  It had a definite line of, not fat, but gristle, running the long way down the middle.  IIRC that was "flatiron steak"?  I've purchased it a few times but can't remember.    

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

Comments

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    He mentions in his wok book to toss with baking soda and to abuse the beef; squeeze, slap, pick up and throw against the bowl.  It does make for noticeably more tender beef in the stir fry. 

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Acn said:
    He mentions in his wok book to toss with baking soda and to abuse the beef; squeeze, slap, pick up and throw against the bowl.  It does make for noticeably more tender beef in the stir fry. 
    Saw that too, but if I'd named this thread "Beat yer Meat!" I'd probably get banninated again.   :D 

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.