Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long would you keep raw wings in the fridge?

Options
FanOfFanboys
FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
Last week I bought 40# of chicken thighs and 40# of wings. I vacuum sealed the thighs but ran out of space for the wings. So I thought I'd just keep them in the fridge until this weekend and cook them all for memorial day weekend. But it just occurred to me I wonder if that is too long. I know what the FDA says but I also eat my steak rare, pork chops at 130, etc

So anyone think I'll have issues with a 40# case of wings on the grill tomorrow? They'll go to 185-190 internal. I just checked and no smell but it is another 20ish hours before cooking. Because it's so many I'm not sure I could even start brining or marinading them.  
Boom

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    I don't know your wings "best/use by date" but I routinely go a week after purchase and a use by date of the following day and have never had any issues.  However, I have never bought in 40# lots.  
    All I would offer is that if you have any doubts, then declare victory and toss 'em although these days wings are high $$.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I’d cook them if they look/smell normalish 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Legume said:
    I’d cook them if they look/smell normalish 
    This, and I'd think about hitting them with brine right now; if they're borderline, a sudden shock of savory saline might hold them over until tomorrow at least, and wangs marinate pretty quickly because they're small.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• FanOfFanboys
    Options
    So they smell and look fine. The biggest and cleanest cooler I have is 20qt

~38# of chicken wings. Rice vinegar, white vinegar, white pepper, black pepper, sugar, salt, red pepper flakes, layer of ice on top. In the morning I'll drain, top with ice, and fill with water. Grilling in the afternoon

Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options

I had my wife smelling multiple times. I didn't tell her any concerns. Just to make sure I wasn't missing anything. I feel much better. Thank you everyone
    Boom
  • HighHeat
    HighHeat Posts: 218
    Options
    keep us posted
    Memphis, TN
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    @FanOfFanboys -You survive the wing cook?  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.