Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket adhesive recommendation

Options
Hi guys, 

the adhesive has failed on my xl big green egg. While BGE are sending me a new gasket I’m a moron and I might as well throw my egg in the bin if I have to replace the gasket. Is there any recommendation for sticking it back down? I’m in the Uk.

Comments

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Calling @RRP
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Permatex—Ultra Copper
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Permatex UltraCopper from the local auto parts store.  Keep in mind, you only need to apply enough to tack the gasket into place.  The gasket is the gasket, not the glue......and that flexible fiber gasket cannot do it's job if there's a ton on hardened glue inside of it.  One thin bead, then spear it.

Someone will be along to post a funny pic of what NOT to do.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    My honest opinion is peel off the old gasket and stick down the new one and trim it as the directions show. If you can’t do that I’m not sure I’d put a tube of permatex in your hands. Just saying, its pretty easy really. 
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    As stated, if BGE is sending a new gasket, it already has the glue on it.  You don't need to add any glue.  Easy.  Scrape off the old, stick down the new.  A little alcohol (for you and the grill) will make the job easier.  

If you are changing gasket materials, you need to use the glue that has been recommended.  It may or may not be available in the UK.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Langner91 said:

If you are changing gasket materials, you need to use the glue that has been recommended.  It may or may not be available in the UK.
    Permatex Ultra Copper is sold world-wide! In Europe it is sometimes called Permatex Supra Copper. And for AMAZON users it is always available.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Permatex UltraCopper from the local auto parts store.  Keep in mind, you only need to apply enough to tack the gasket into place.  The gasket is the gasket, not the glue......and that flexible fiber gasket cannot do it's job if there's a ton on hardened glue inside of it.  One thin bead, then spear it.

Someone will be along to post a funny pic of what NOT to do.
    Oops, I thought you were upgrading to a woven gasket.  Yeah if you're just using the OEM felt or nomex ones, they had the adhesive on them already.  Just peel and stick.