Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Belly Burnt Ends

Options
Skims_Smokehouse
Skims_Smokehouse Posts: 60
edited April 2022 in Appetizers

Pork Belly Burnt Ends

Egg indirect with air gapped drip pan - 250°F
Hickory chunks
Eggspander system
4-ish hour cook time
No rest time 
I placed the hickory below the lump charcoal for this cook.

While the egg is pre-heating, slice 4-5lbs of pork belly into 1" cubes.
Heavily season with your favorite sugar based seasoning.  I used Meat Church VooDoo.
Make sure there's an air gap between the drip pan and the Conveggtor.  Small balls of tinfoil works fine here.
Place the cubes, fat side up, into the egg.  Try to leave a bit of a gap between each. 
Smoke at 250°F for two hours, then bump up to 275°F one more hour.  Done is bronze color and probe tender.  Start checking on it only after about the first 2 hours.
Remove from the egg and place all pieces in a single baking pan.  Slather and stir in the BBQ sauce mixture, making sure each cube is covered.  Place the pan into the 270°F egg and glaze for 30-40 minutes.
Remove and serve.

BBQ Sauce mixture:

I just eyeballed this.  You just want to cover each cube, not create a braise.

roughly this:
1 cup Sweet Baby Ray's Honey BBQ sauce
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup F.N. Hot Habanero pepper jelly

Taste this and balance with more or less of the ingredients to your liking.
Warm the mixture in the microwave for 30 seconds and stir.
I got strong accolades on this! The pepper jelly is not over powering, but gives it a sweet heat.
Let me know how yours turn out.

Shopping List:

4-5 lbs. of pork belly.  (I bought a whole slab from Costco and halved it)
Meat Church VooDoo (or Sugar Based BBQ rub )
Sweet Baby Ray's Honey BBQ
Honey
F.N. Hot Habanero Pepper Jelly
Hickory Chunks
Foil drip pan
Foil baking pan

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Looks fantastic!
    Great post, thanks 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Nice work.  Pics. Recipe. Thread filed in appropriate sub-category.  The only thing missing is an engaging backstory of how you were raised and what this recipe means to you and your family.  :-)

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Skims_Smokehouse
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Nice work.  Pics. Recipe. Thread filed in appropriate sub-category.  The only thing missing is an engaging backstory of how you were raised and what this recipe means to you and your family.  :-)

Ha! Thanks! I honestly thought through the format of this.  I noticed that when I am looking at a web recipe, it's kind of like 3 stages.  "How do I cook X food?"  Once I settle on a recipe, I make a shopping list.  Once I'm ready to cook, I look at the steps.

I formatted this in how I feel like I would like to see and revisit a recipe. The shopping list is last because I only visit it once.  The steps are before the ingredients because I might like to keep referring to them during the cook. If I've done the recipe before, I might just want a quick refresher on the Green Egg setup, so that's very first.

My back story on this is as follows: I grew up without a Green Egg.  My dad had to grill on a gas grill up hill in the snow both ways.  You had to chew for a week just to swallow his steaks.  Years later, I saw a bunch of people making these on YouTube, and I wanted some.  
  • AprèsSki
    AprèsSki Posts: 131
    Options
    Thank you, one of the best posts I've seen in a while. Welcome
    Firing up my XL Big Green Egg, KJ Jr. or Weber gasser in Salt Lake City