Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Update my egg - Eggsessories Compatibility Questions

So I just got my XL egg back into service after a 6 year warranty claim nightmare. (Long story with many retailers losing their dealerships and my warranty claims along the way)

So now with my XL back up and running I was looking at Eggsessories that have come out since I last used it. They look cool, particularly the system that is a metal basket that holds the plate setter, plus the grates above it, plus the 2nd tier sliding shelf for layered cooking.

My question is one of compatibility. I have a plate setter, the original stainless grate (round), and I have two half-moon cast iron grates for my XL today. It seems like none of this is compatible with the “new Eggsessories system” due to the notch-out required for the lifting handles on the main basket of this new system. Can anybody confirm this?

Off-topic: I also have a mini-max and was wondering if anyone figured out a garden wagon or some other hauling device to use it conveniently for tailgating? Any links to designs for mobile use of a mini-max?

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,227
    Check out the Ceramic Grill Store for a setup for your XL. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Tmoritz
    Tmoritz Posts: 5
    WeberWho said:

Thanks for the link, I checked out what they have. But I’m sort of at the same level of bewilderment as when my post started. I own some Eggsessories already, I’m trying to figure out which is scrap and incompatible with upgrades, and which I can retain and reuse as part of any of these systems.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,994
    edited April 2022
    If you are handy you can make a pretty simple plywood and 2x4 carrier that 2 people can use to both carry as well as secure your M/M while being transported. OTOH you can always just buy a PotLifter and carry it that way. I can carry my Small by myself with a PotLifter as if it was a duffle bag, and I'm no circus strong man! 
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,508
    Tmoritz said:
    WeberWho said:

Thanks for the link, I checked out what they have. But I’m sort of at the same level of bewilderment as when my post started. I own some Eggsessories already, I’m trying to figure out which is scrap and incompatible with upgrades, and which I can retain and reuse as part of any of these systems.
    Give them a call and talk to them. They are honest and will give you advise based on what your “needs” are. I have never heard a bad review on here of them and I have made several purchases as well. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,994
    edited April 2022
    RRP said:
    What that PotLifter looks like - and BTW is available many stores and catalogues: link: https://www.walmart.com/ip/PotLifter-200-Pound-Gardening-Heavy-Lifting-Tool/35609998

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,829
    Tmoritz said:
    WeberWho said:

Give them a call and talk to them. They are honest and will give you advise based on what your “needs” are. I have never heard a bad review on here of them and I have made several purchases as well. 
    AGREE

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    BGE sells two different carriers for the MiniMax - one is just a nest/carrier/cradle and the other is a nest/carrier/cradle with a four legged stand (which might be helpful when tailgating as you would not need to find a table to set it upon.

Or, if you really just want a wagon it's hard to beat the classic... :)

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Tmoritz said:

My question is one of compatibility. I have a plate setter, the original stainless grate (round), and I have two half-moon cast iron grates for my XL today. It seems like none of this is compatible with the “new Eggsessories system” due to the notch-out required for the lifting handles on the main basket of this new system. Can anybody confirm this?

@Tmoritz Trying to get to your original question.  I love CGS, but that isn't what you are asking.

1.  Your plate setter will certainly fit in the EGGSpander basket.  No problem there.  

2.  I believe your stainless grid will fit with the EGGSpander also.  The handles poke through the grid.  I don't think the grid has been changed.  It hasn't for the large, so it should work with the XL.

3.  I think your cast iron grid halves will work on the BOTTOM of the EGGSpander basket.  To get closer to the coals.  They probably won't work on the top since yours don't have the cut-out.  But, they will work on the bottom just fine.  They show that configuration here: 

Hope that helps.  If you have a dealer nearby, you could probably go in and touch and feel it to give you a bit more comfort.  I have the five piece set for the large and have added half stones to it.  I really enjoy having the flexibility.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,287
    edited April 2022
    call cgs and talk to tom. he has been designing, building and redesigning these things for years and was a member here getting alot of feedback. he can fill in the gaps of what you have, how you cook in general and explain what you need for what you do without over selling
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,829

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .