Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL differences to L

Options
Got a new XL after 10 years of just having a L. Primary reason for getting the XL is for low and slows. However, after about 3 or 4 attempts, I can't get it to stay at 250-275, it always settles in at 300. I do not have this problem with the L. Vent settings are about as closed as I can go without shutting down the fire. Thermometer is calibrated and I have no leaking smoke. Is there a difference between temp control in the XL vs the L that I should know about? Am I letting too much charcoal get lit? Appreciate any guidance. Photos are vent settings in today's ham.

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Must have a leak somewhere.  I was able to hold 225 in mine (pre-cracked base) if I work at it, 260-280 is a breeze. You can’t overshoot and bring it down low though, catch it on the way up, don’t overshoot by more than 50 and you should be able to settle it where you want.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    It will get easier as your XL gunks up a little and seals smaller air gaps.
    But yes, bring your temp up slowly and try not to overshoot at the start. As your ceramics heat up, it takes less fire to keep it low and slow.
    You got this! I’m able to hold lows on my XL equal to my Large.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    Are you lighting the charcoal at one or two spots only?
    canuckland
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    My experience is just the opposite. I find the xl easier to hold low end temps. Maybe alter your fire build a bit? What is you routine? I like the compressed paper fire starters personally. I’ve used loft and torch too though. 
  • EzraBrooks
    EzraBrooks Posts: 381
    Options
    I twist up a piece of paper towel and pour a little olive oil on it, shove it down in the lump and light both ends. I leave the dome open for 10 or 15 minutes or so until I've got a softball area of lump going, then I stir around the lit lump to distribute around the bowl. Then I close the dome and bring up to temp. Today I started with the vents more open and then closed down, maybe next time I start with the vents more closed and be more patient.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    It will get easier as your XL gunks up a little and seals smaller air gaps.
    But yes, bring your temp up slowly and try not to overshoot at the start. As your ceramics heat up, it takes less fire to keep it low and slow.
    You got this! I’m able to hold lows on my XL equal to my Large.

Yep, it's all about the gunk.
    NOLA
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I twist up a piece of paper towel and pour a little olive oil on it, shove it down in the lump and light both ends. I leave the dome open for 10 or 15 minutes or so until I've got a softball area of lump going, then I stir around the lit lump to distribute around the bowl. Then I close the dome and bring up to temp. Today I started with the vents more open and then closed down, maybe next time I start with the vents more closed and be more patient.
    Personally I would not mix the lit lump around. Imo it will just cause the fire to spread and raise the temps. If you are trying for lower temps, keep the fire as isolated as possible. Otherwise, sounds like a good routine. 
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    4TheGrillOfIt Posts: 741
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Agree with the above.  No need to move the lit lump around for a low and slow.
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Agree with the above.  No need to move the lit lump around for a low and slow.
    Agree, the only time I move lit lump around is for pizza cooks and also agree with gunk helping temp control. 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    Agree^^^ one or two spots, no stirring.
    canuckland
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    edited April 2022
    Options
    I was with you until you wrote strir.

Edit: 10-15 minutes with open lid may also be getting it too hot.  After my paper towel has definitely lit and started the lump, I only leave open for a few minutes before putting platesetter down and closing lid. I do let the vents stay open (not wide) until I'm getting close to target temp.
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,521
    Options
    (1) check your upper and lower lid alignment ... could be a leak, check especially the back ...

(2) lite it up only in one place ... center ... 

(3) I find some lump burns hotter than others ... I like the BGE Oak for lower temps (225F). Other lumps, I cannot get lower than 275F. Try that, and see if it makes a difference.

Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • Hansm
    Hansm Posts: 214
    Options
    Check the gasket and the lid fit. The conveggtor makes controlling low/slow easier.
    LG BGE,  Weber Genesis gas, Weber 22" Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe
  • Walt2015
    Walt2015 Posts: 583
    Options
    quick question for others--i had L for about 8 years and recently upgraded to XL. ive used FOGO for years. i stir box thoroughly before lighting and let it fire get going for a while before putting meat on. still getting much smokier flavor than i ever got on the large. 

using AR set up cooking just about felt about 425 direct for BLSL breasts. 

any ideas to help?
    Memphis, TN ----> Chattanooga, TN
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,521
    Options
    Walt2015 said:
    quick question for others--i had L for about 8 years and recently upgraded to XL. ive used FOGO for years. i stir box thoroughly before lighting and let it fire get going for a while before putting meat on. still getting much smokier flavor than i ever got on the large. 

using AR set up cooking just about felt about 425 direct for BLSL breasts. 

any ideas to help?
    Check your thread ... no point copy/pasting our responses in two threads.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!