Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blue cheese dressing

Options
I am a huge fan of good blue cheese dressing on my salad in any nice restaurant. Unfortunately I cannot find a good blue cheese dressing in any of the stores. I have tried all of them, they all have a bitter taste or a sour taste compared to the nicer restaurants. Does anyone have a good store bought dressing they like that I should try?  Or maybe a hack recipe???

Thank you!

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    I understand as I TOO am a fan! Not sure where you live but my go to USED to be that PREMIUM product made by Maytag, made over in Iowa. Then they had a horrible safety problem and essentially lost their business…though I think they MAY have recovered…

Meanwhile we took a REAL liking to a creamy blue cheese product called Litehouse Chunky Blue Cheese.

Then I add blue cheese crumbles to even enhance the taste!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Here's a quick and easy yogurt blue cheese recipe if want something simple. My mom would bring me over a tub of it and wouldn't last very long here at the house. I eventually started making it myself.

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Great Bleu Cheese decreasing starts with great Bleu Cheese. You may like a fresh made dressing, made yourself and with a quick assembly of ingredients. Mixed and stored shares the flavors amongst the ingredients. Many of us BC fans like it that way. Find what you like and try various recipes until you find the one that best satisfies your pallet. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • lentsboy007
    lentsboy007 Posts: 416
    Options
    The Schnitzelbank restaurant in Jasper makes their own , it’s great . They may sell it .  I hear they also make some fine mutton……

1 Large Egg, Blackstone griddle

Belgium...........The Netherlands??

• RRP
    Options
    Oh…and I forgot…freshly ground pepper dusted high  over your BC salad is a hidden hint from those restaurant salads I just bet you like!
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 688
    Options
    Great Bleu Cheese decreasing starts with great Bleu Cheese. You may like a fresh made dressing, made yourself and with a quick assembly of ingredients. Mixed and stored shares the flavors amongst the ingredients. Many of us BC fans like it that way. Find what you like and try various recipes until you find the one that best satisfies your pallet. 
    This is the Bleu cheese that @northGAcock is referring to  https://clemsonbluecheese.com/
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    RRP said:
    I understand as I TOO am a fan! Not sure where you live but my go to USED to be that PREMIUM product made by Maytag, made over in Iowa. Then they had a horrible safety problem and essentially lost their business…though I think they MAY have recovered…

Meanwhile we took a REAL liking to a creamy blue cheese product called Litehouse Chunky Blue Cheese.

The Lighthouse Jalapeño Ranch is also very good. Spring Chicken and Hen turned us onto it years ago.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    edited April 2022
    Options
    RRP said:

The Maytag cheese is available here in Iowa.  The HyVee stores in the Midwest have it.  I buy it when I am cold smoking and usually cold smoke a few wedges every year.  It doesn't last long enough to put it in dressing!  I love it smoked on a good steak!

It is $11 for a 4 ounce wedge, so my Iowa math says that's about $40 a pound.

HyVee also has the Litehouse dressings.  Thanks, @RRP I will pick some of that up and try it!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    The Schnitzelbank restaurant in Jasper makes their own , it’s great . They may sell it .  I hear they also make some fine mutton……
    I haven’t been down there in years. Thanks for the reminder!
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    If interested, I have a Bleu Cheese-sriracha recipe, or just a bleu cheese recipe that works out as a great dressing for either salads or coleslaw. Let me know.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    If interested, I have a Bleu Cheese-sriracha recipe, or just a bleu cheese recipe that works out as a great dressing for either salads or coleslaw. Let me know.
    Please post it.  I have it, but I’m sure others do not, and they absolutely need to try it.  It’s like crack.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    If you have a local places that you enjoy their dressing ask them if they would sell you some to take home. My wife buys ranch by the quart from a local place. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• MediumRarely
    Options

I make this one monthly - and tweak it often. Simple and tasty.

Buttermilk Blue Cheese Salad Dressing

From Serious Eats

INGREDIENTS (double recipe yielding approximately 1 quart)

·        4 ounces (120g) mild blue cheese (up to 8 oz is OK)

·        1 cup (240ml) mayonnaise

·        1 cup (240ml) sour cream

·        1 cup (240ml) buttermilk (a bit less is OK)

·        2 tablespoon (30ml) fresh lemon juice (with minced garlic & ginger)

·        Freshly ground black pepper

·        Kosher salt (if needed)

I often add a roasted jalapeno, cayenne, lime, etc. Usually use home made mayonnaise. Frequently double the amount of cheese.

INSTRUCTIONS

In Vitamix, add crumbled blue cheese, mayonnaise, sour cream, buttermilk, and lemon juice (with garlic/ginger) until a smooth, slightly lumpy dressing forms. Season with pepper. The blue cheese will likely make the dressing salty enough, but taste and add salt if necessary.

Always act so that you can tell the truth about how you act.

• RRP
    Options
    While we are still on the blue cheese topic I just opened a package of smoked blue cheese crumbles and most are the size of small marbles! I figured I would just cut them or crush them into small pieces and that was foolish and too time consuming! When I used to buy blocks of blue cheese then I would merely use a fork to shred it into small crumbles, but these marbles are too plentiful and too expensive to just pitch out of frustration. What’s the secret?
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    RRP said:
    While we are still on the blue cheese topic I just opened a package of smoked blue cheese crumbles and most are the size of small marbles! I figured I would just cut them or crush them into small pieces and that was foolish and too time consuming! When I used to buy blocks of blue cheese then I would merely use a fork to shred it into small crumbles, but these marbles are too plentiful and too expensive to just pitch out of frustration. What’s the secret?
    Pulse it a couple times in a food processor?
    Freeze in a ziploc and rolling pin?
    Just guessing
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    edited April 2022
    Options
    RRP said:

@RRP
    Maytag got their issues resolved and are back in business. Their Blue Cheese is as good as ever.  We have been enjoying it for over a year now.

A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • RRP
    edited April 2022
    Options

@RRP
    Maytag got their issues resolved and are back in business. Their Blue Cheese is as good as ever.  We have been enjoying it for over a year now.

Funny thing is I had never tasted Maytag - NOR ANY blue cheese for that matter until I was 24 or 25 years old and my wife, my parents and my aunt and uncle had met clear over in the Amana Colonies there in IA. Talk about a forehead slapping life changing experience! LOL
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    RRP said:

@RRP

Thanks for all the replies. Does anyone know if Maytag sells this online anywhere?

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    EGGjlmh said:
    RRP said:

@RRP

Thanks for all the replies. Does anyone know if Maytag sells this online anywhere?

There's this thing called "the Google"... :)

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• RRP
    Options
    EGGjlmh said:
    RRP said:

@RRP

I know they did at one time, but at $40 OR MORE retail per pound then with the required cold pack plus overnight delivery that makes it awfully expensive! Not sure where you live, but I bet you can find a similarly quality blue cheese product available near you! .
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    RRP said:
    EGGjlmh said:
    RRP said:

@RRP

I know they did at one time, but at $40 OR MORE retail per pound then with the required cold pack plus overnight delivery that makes it awfully expensive! Not sure where you live, but I bet you can find a similarly quality blue cheese product available near you! .
    That would be very expensive but is an option. Thanks for the reply Ron!

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Please post it.  I have it, but I’m sure others do not, and they absolutely need to try it.  It’s like crack.
    I was going to say exactly this. That sauce is delicious. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    So many rabbit holes one can explore.  The rabbit holes have rabbit holes!  
    I love blue cheese dressing.  Thanks for the post.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • RRP
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    So many rabbit holes one can explore.  The rabbit holes have rabbit holes!  
    I love blue cheese dressing.  Thanks for the post.
    TRUE!!!

Today as I shopped my Kroger store I found they had a HUGE offering of Maytag brand and at just $18.99 per half pound which beats the $20 quoted here in earlier replies - my own included! 
  • Hansm
    Hansm Posts: 214
    Options
    LG BGE,  Weber Genesis gas, Weber 22" Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    for off the shelf i like kens steak house. theres a couple of blue cheese dressings in the lineup, i prefer the chef reserve blue cheese with gorganzola adding more gorganzola. this is my go to for celery and buffalo wings and for no lettuce salads. maries is pretty good in the refridgerator dressing section.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    This thread inspired me to pick up a small container of "blue cheese crumbles" from Aldi on Sunday.  They were genuine Wisconsin cheese, so they can't be all bad.

I sprinkled a few on top of my Prime NY Strip steak.  Dang!  I actually think they are very good crumbles.

Score another one for Aldi!

Litehouse dressing is on my HyVee order that is being delivered tonight.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    This thread inspired me to pick up a small container of "blue cheese crumbles" from Aldi on Sunday.  They were genuine Wisconsin cheese, so they can't be all bad.

I sprinkled a few on top of my Prime NY Strip steak.  Dang!  I actually think they are very good crumbles.

Score another one for Aldi!

Litehouse dressing is on my HyVee order that is being delivered tonight.
    I always keep it on hand for salads.  Their feta is good too.  Actually you can't go wrong with any of the cheeses they have there.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL