Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Must have Eggcessories

I finally made up my mind about getting an XL BGE. Since I am a wood worker, making a nest for this guy to live, is no big deal. I am going to modify the plans I used to make my work bench, take away the clamps and hardware, holes, ...

I have read as many posts as I can about the eggcessories people use, and I still have questions. I do a lot of cooking for friends, and I want to be able to handle veggies and other sides. I already have a collection of cast iron, because I am usually the camp cook, when hunting season comes around.

Smoking. I would like to do some smoking.
Pizza. Who doesn't like pizza?

My list so far is a pizza stone, a heat diffuser, an eggspander (sp?), some kind of remote thermometer, what else?

Comments

• Mr1egg
    Mr1egg Posts: 400
    Smoke ware cap is nice, helps rain stay out and is made of stainless steel. I also bought the kick ash can and basket, I believe that those two are a must because they make cleaning the egg way easier. My last purchase was a bigger thermometer on the egg so I can see the temp easier. I forget what it’s called but the rake thing that helps u clean out the charcoal from the bottom. 
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Good list ^

Kick Ash Basket is a must have.
    Ash tool
    Grid lifter
    Figure out how you want to light it. (torch, lighter cubes, branding iron, etc.)
    Charcoal
    ConvEGGtor, plate setter, or some rig that will hold a ceramic stone.  You need to be able to cook indirect somehow.

Then, I suggest you try it.  Once you try a few things, you will know what you want next.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    In my opinion, the only "must haves" are an upgraded fire grid (Kick Ash Basket or the High Que are good), a plate setter, and a charcoal chimney. 
    Southern California
  • WeberWho said:
    Ceramic grill store. Skip the BGE heat defuser and check out the Ceramic Grill Store. The owner of the place is named Tom and he's a long time egger and member here on the forum. Plus the stuff he makes is American made. (Texas) He has different options for different setups. You can give him a call and he will talk you over what you need and don't need on your XL. He can get you setup. 

https://ceramicgrillstore.com/

^This is my #1 recommendation.

I use a crow bar to clean the ash out. It's extremely durable and a lot cheaper than the BGE ash tool. 
    St. Louis, MO
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,705
    Kick Ash Basket & Can
    Flame Boss 500
    Ceramic Grill Store AR or Woo (they have the pizza stone as well.)
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,692
    If you intend to do any hot and fast cooks on it you will need a good instant read thermo.  Beyond that as mentioned, a way to go indirect.  After that I would slow roll additional toys until you get run time with it.  I do not own a XL (only L and S BGE's) but from what I have seen here over the years the XL does not need an enhanced fire grate or basket.  But only and observation.
    BTW- welcome aboard and enjoy the juurney.  Above all, have fun.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Kick ash basket
    Perforated 1/2 moons for grilling veggies
    Looft Lighter
    Egg Genius
  • lousubcap said:
    If you intend to do any hot and fast cooks on it you will need a good instant read thermo.  Beyond that as mentioned, a way to go indirect.  After that I would slow roll additional toys until you get run time with it.  I do not own a XL (only L and S BGE's) but from what I have seen here over the years the XL does not need an enhanced fire grate or basket.  But only and observation.

Agree completely. Bought my first EGG in 1975 and a couple more since then. Only egg-ception would be the "original" grid tool. Came with early units, a classic in simplicity and functionality. Wish I hadn't lost them. Can't seem to find them anywhere - a classic!

Always act so that you can tell the truth about how you act.

• TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,345
    A lot of good advice above and I agree with Cap on slow rolling on accessories for a while. Having said that I have really enjoyed having the kick ash basket and kick ash can. I also use a pizza stone from the ceramic grill store frequently.
    LBGE
    AL
  • lousubcap said:

Agree completely. Bought my first EGG in 1975 and a couple more since then. Only egg-ception would be the "original" grid tool. Came with early units, a classic in simplicity and functionality. Wish I hadn't lost them. Can't seem to find them anywhere - a classic!

Do you happen to have a picture of the original grid tool?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• lousubcap said:

Do you happen to have a picture of the original grid tool?
    No... long ago and far away. If my memory serves me correctly (not always the case these days), it was six to eight inches in length with 3 fork tines. The middle tine was raised on plane slightly above the ones on either side allowing capture of a single grid bar. Perpendicular bars of the grid in conjunction with the large cross section of the tines and handle allowed the grid to be easily picked up, controlled, maneuvered...  Simple, quite sturdy, black or flat black/charcoal in color, possibly painted or coated carbon steel (casting/forging?). Hefty, could multi-task as a personal protection device. Oh well, in actuality it may not live up to the fondness of my memories - delusions of grandeur. Much like reflections of myself during my more formative years... 

Always act so that you can tell the truth about how you act.

• abtaylor260
    abtaylor260 Posts: 242
    A digital grate thermometer. Along with checking  calibration periodically helps me know the real temp I’m cooking at. 
  • abtaylor260
    abtaylor260 Posts: 242
    Oh and checking cal with boiling water is the cheapest way to do this. Buy new robes periodically as they drift. 
  • I would get a good camera so you can start to record your egghead conquests! :)  B)
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,791
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • All good advice. Wife gave me the cast iron half moon for my XL and I love it. Awesome for smash burgers, cheese steaks, fried eggs, fajitas, etc. I highly recommend it. Mine is actually the kamado joe version and after comparing it to my dads BGE version I like the KJ since it comes with a handle (which is money when it’s hot) and grease is more easily scraped off