Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Transport ribs

Options
have a large big green egg and am smoking 3 racks of baby back ribs this Saturday to take to a friend’s house for dinner. Dinner won’t be for an hour or so after we get to a friend’s house and they will be smoking a brisket. Was thinking about smoking the ribs most of the way leaving the last hour to put in the friend’s smoker when we get there. Has anyone tried this or have any other options? It’s about a 15 minute drive between houses.

Comments

• Mr1egg
    Mr1egg Posts: 372
    Options
    U could wrap them place them in a cooler and bring over, just make sure the ribs are already fully cooked and then bring them up to the temp u want at your friends house. 
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 690
    Options
    If the ribs are foil wrapped and almost ready to eat when you leave your house, then they won't need much time at your friends.

How long is the drive?
    What do you have at your friends to finish the cook?
    Can you transport wrapped without too much mess ? 
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • Mdmorton
    Options
    The drive is about 15 minutes.  He has a giant offset smoker that he will have at 225-250 with a brisket on it.  Yes I could transport wrapped without too much of a mess. Was thinking I would get them to the last hour and let them finish off at his house but didn’t know if taking them off my smoker, transporting and then re-starting the cooking process for the last hour wills affect them.  
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,528
    Options
    @Mdmorton - welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    I would finish the ribs (toothpick for the win) give them around 10 minutes to stop the cook, wrap in foil and transport.  No reheat needed unless your friend misfires on the brisket timing which could happen.
    FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mdmorton
    Options
    @lousubcap Thanks.  At this point, I am going to have an hour to hour and a half before we would eat them for dinner at our friend’s house.  I typically dry rub mine and do the 2-2-1 method, only putting sauce on for the last 45 minutes or so to let it get soaked in and not wet.  If he is cooking the brisket at 225-250, do you think I should foil them when I leave home as you suggested and then throw them on the last 30 minutes at the lower temp at his house?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,528
    Options
    I would go with what you know with the cook process to produce your great ribs and then adapt to how the approaching finish/serve time sorts out. It sounds like an audible right now and that makes it a bit of stress but an enjoyable challenge as well. You've got this.  Just don't overthink it.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 690
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Just don't overthink it.
    +1
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    Follow @lousubcap recommendation, and your ribs will be the hit of the party.  Ribs are so forgiving, and always seem to get rave reviews at party’s and gatherings. They also benefit from the alcohol factor!
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,528
    Options
    Mr1egg said:
    U could wrap them place them in a cooler and bring over, just make sure the ribs are already fully cooked and then bring them up to the temp u want at your friends house. 
    That's what I would do ... I would wrap them, finish tenderizing, put them wrapped in a cooler ... then open up the wrapping and start glazing at the friends house for about 30 minutes. That will get them back up to temp, and tasting fresh when served.  
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    I wouldn't hesitate at all to finish them up at home and hold them that long. They'll still be great.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Mdmorton
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,828
    Options
    if he has a gas grill set it on high and spritze flip a few times. something sugary to crisp them back up. ive seen famous daves do this at outdoor events. its quick
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it