Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Outdoor kitchen: kind of a weird question

Options
I am building a new house that will have a moderate outdoor kitchen (think a 10-12ft by 2.5ft rectangle). I want to have a natural gas grill in there. I also want a small roof to cover the cooking area as well as the chef as the locale gets a lot of snow. My understanding of local zoning and regulations is that it is a bit of a loose environment and if in doubt they will consult the OEM specs (to see whether or not it is permissible to have a ceiling over the grill and if so what the venting requirements are).  I have heard that it can vary quite a bit between manufacturers. So, I was wondering if anyone has explored this area and if they have found any grill manufacturers that have less stringent rules around this. As well, if you could recommend any natural gas grills that will hold up to a harsh winter climate. Thanks very much.

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    NorthEgg said:
    I am building a new house that will have a moderate outdoor kitchen (think a 10-12ft by 2.5ft rectangle). I want to have a natural gas grill in there. I also want a small roof to cover the cooking area as well as the chef as the locale gets a lot of snow. My understanding of local zoning and regulations is that it is a bit of a loose environment and if in doubt they will consult the OEM specs (to see whether or not it is permissible to have a ceiling over the grill and if so what the venting requirements are).  I have heard that it can vary quite a bit between manufacturers. So, I was wondering if anyone has explored this area and if they have found any grill manufacturers that have less stringent rules around this. As well, if you could recommend any natural gas grills that will hold up to a harsh winter climate. Thanks very much.
    Just a roof, no walls?
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited January 2022
    Options
    I'm not sure I follow what you're asking. Are you saying your builder is going to check your grill's recommendation for venting requirements?

You don't need a vent above an outdoor grill, assuming you're not boxed into a confined area. The wind blowing around is going to direct that smoke wherever it pleases and not straight up anyway. Just be sure the grill itself isn't venting back directly onto wood or siding.
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,521
    Options
    When I lived in South Africa, being that outdoor kitchens are really popular there, the common thing to do was to have a built in BBQ. It all started with a coal fired grill, inset into bricks, and a chimney was installed to extract the smoke. 

Several people switched over to gas ... to save the effort of having to clean out the coal grill.  We just inserted gas burners into that same built in bbq used for coals.

So that prompts an idea.  Is the code satisfied if you use a chimney for the grill ... and the wrap the roof around the chimney?

Here's a very typical South African setup, just google "South African built in braai" and if you google "South African built in gas braai" you'll see the same, except for gas instead of coal.

South African Braai - Posts  Facebook
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • NorthEgg
    Options
    re "Just a roof, no walls?". Essentially, yes. I am envisioning a small roof that juts out from the house. It's purpose is just to shield the chef and cooking units from the elements
  • NorthEgg
    Options
    re "I'm not sure I follow what you're asking. Are you saying your builder is going to check your grill's recommendation for venting requirements?"   I think so, depending upon the builder but ultimately the building inspector will have to approve it. I have some intel on this as I had a plan and a builder who I ultimately had to fire before we began building. Its a small town and things seem a bit loose but I don't want a design or configuration that will ultimately not be allowed. I spoke to a very large player in outdoor kitchens, one of the biggest on the West coast of Canada and he said he wouldn't even build, design or install anything that had a roof over it. Yet, I see a bunch of BBQ's with some sort of roof overhead, dotted around town. A murky situation indeed. That is why I was wondering if anybody had been down this road before and new of a manufacturer that didn't have stringent rules about what if anything could be over their BBQs. Thanks

• NorthEgg
    Options
    Mark B. Good: Thanks, I will explore that and it may turn out to be a back up plan. I am trying to avoid a big expense and production by having a simple roof without venting - I was contemplating a slant to it so smoke would roll away easily enough, particularly if the roof isn't too big.
  • Corv
    Corv Posts: 369
    Options
    I have seen photographs of a simple vent and hood, basically a shallow collector cone attached to a standard double-wall duct to the roof. I have no idea if it's needed but having it would not cost much and remove questions.
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
     Build without the roof.  After the job is done out a pop-up on the spot and let people get used to it.  Then put in a permanent.

You can put some fasteners for the cover in the ground, that makes it easy to bolt on the roof supports.
    Options
     Build without the roof.  After the job is done out a pop-up on the spot and let people get used to it.  Then put in a permanent.

You can put some fasteners for the cover in the ground, that makes it easy to bolt on the roof supports.
    That works until Murphy comes along and for some stupid reason, everything burns down and the insurance doesn't cover ... lol.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • Money_Hillbilly
    Options
    @NorthEgg We build outdoor kitchens and although not in your climate I think you will find a gas grill a pretty poor performer in really cold conditions.  Generally we add a hood for ventilation when a gas grill is located in a covered area against the home or when required by local codes. Here are some build ideas from a few projects.

Southeast Louisiana
    3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle 
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    We put an outdoor kitchen under an existing pergola — built in gasser, egg, counter, “dry sink,” and drawers, no appliances. 

After much internal debate and negotiation, I was able to secure roof-coverage over the egg (which I use) and some of the counter/prep area. The gasser (which is mostly SWMBO’s domain) remained open to the elements above,

IMHO, the roof over the egg is a game changer. I egg in all kinds of weather and being under cover is quite helpful when it’s nasty out. Or when it’s nasty in and I prefer to brave the elements outside. 

It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Lowcountrygamecock
    Options
    @NorthEgg We build outdoor kitchens and although not in your climate I think you will find a gas grill a pretty poor performer in really cold conditions.  Generally we add a hood for ventilation when a gas grill is located in a covered area against the home or when required by local codes. Here are some build ideas from a few projects.

Beautiful work. I’m an engineer by trade but I’ve always been fascinated with building projects. I love what I do but I think I could have been equally as happy as an architect. 
  • NorthEgg
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas gents, I will likely borrow a few ideas. Fantastic looking kitchens Money_Hillbilly! If I was in your area we would be talking further about your availability!
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    Love my Napolean built in gasser.  Does a wonderful job on steaks, prime ribs, and rotisserie chickens.  Even in the nasty cold winter, and it’s super easy to clean!