Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another temperature controller issue - UltraQ

Options
I purchased a BBQ Guru Ultra Q last year and have observed some issues while using the app.  It will initially connect to my Bluetooth and my wifi.  I have an access point only ten feet from where the controller is used.  I will login to ShareMyCook and everything looks great.  But yesterday, after about six hours into a pork butt cook the meat temp read 181* and the pit Temp showed 271 on the app.  The app showed that it was updated at the same time I read the 271.  I went out to the EGG and the controller read HI and after pushing the reset button on the controller it read 377 in the pit. I notice that it tends to drop the wifi connection at times.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

X-Large BGE, DigiQ, ThermaQ (Blue), CyberQ, Joetissirie, UltraQ, (ex.FlameBoss 200)

Highland Village, TX

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Call BBQ Guru. Their CS is much improved from the early years.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Hansm
    Hansm Posts: 214
    Options
    Don't use them seems everyone has a problem. I use my ThermoPro wireless therm and set alarms
    LG BGE,  Weber Genesis gas, Weber 22" Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe
  • H12mike
    H12mike Posts: 134
    Options
    I talked with their CS and got several proposed solutions, of which none worked.  They are also scratching their heads.  It is not seeing my 2.5 wifi network but sees my 5.0 wifi network.

X-Large BGE, DigiQ, ThermaQ (Blue), CyberQ, Joetissirie, UltraQ, (ex.FlameBoss 200)

Highland Village, TX

• H12mike
    Options
    Hansm said:
    Don't use them seems everyone has a problem. I use my ThermoPro wireless therm and set alarms
    Agreed.  I believe that the KISS method is probably the right path for Egging.  I never had issues before going down the rabbit hole of fan controllers.

Highland Village, TX

• Photo Egg
    edited January 2022
    Options
    H12mike said:
    I talked with their CS and got several proposed solutions, of which none worked.  They are also scratching their heads.  It is not seeing my 2.5 wifi network but sees my 5.0 wifi network.
    I’m far from an IT expert.
    Can you set up a guest network on your router at 2.4 with a simple password to test with?
    Can you test Guru closer to your main WiFi and not go through your access point booster?

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Not an IT expert either, but back in the day, the Stoker was incompatible with certain wifi routers. 

Not sure how exactly you would troubleshoot that (unless you have a few other routers lying around), but maybe you could try using your phone as a hotspot? If you have the same/similar problems, then your home network may not be the issue? 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • H12mike
    Options
    I contacted Netgear and they are assigning a tech to help me out.  Apparently my outdoor 2.5 network is hidden and only the 5.0 is broadcasting a signal.  The UltraQ does not like 5.0.  UltraQ goes offline trying to find a 2.5 network signal of which many of my neighbors networks are visible to the UltraQ.  Boy, am I learning a lot about wifi networks for being a 75 year old codger.  I always thought you plug something in and it is supposed to work.

Highland Village, TX

• Photo Egg
    Options
    H12mike said:
    I contacted Netgear and they are assigning a tech to help me out.  Apparently my outdoor 2.5 network is hidden and only the 5.0 is broadcasting a signal.  The UltraQ does not like 5.0.  UltraQ goes offline trying to find a 2.5 network signal of which many of my neighbors networks are visible to the UltraQ.  Boy, am I learning a lot about wifi networks for being a 75 year old codger.  I always thought you plug something in and it is supposed to work.
    Hang in there. Good news is UltraQ will still work perfectly and hold your temps even if you can’t see it on your network.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • builderdawg
    Options
    Hansm said:
    This is the answer.  I used mine twice and decided it was too much work to set up and clean.  My Eggs can hold temps for 14 hours + without ever adjusting the vents once the temp is stabilized.

• H12mike
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Finally solved.  My grandson created an iOT network (2.4 ghz) on my router for all of my wifi enabled toys.

Highland Village, TX

• Photo Egg
    Options
    H12mike said:
    Finally solved.  My grandson created an iOT network (2.4 ghz) on my router for all of my wifi enabled toys.
    That’s fantastic!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    I just checked my eero app and the Ultra Q required uses 2.4ghz. Good to know.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    dstearn said:
    All the pellet grills you’ve been eyeing also use 2.4. 
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    dstearn said:
    All the pellet grills you’ve been eyeing also use 2.4. 

Once I get my XL base replacement I am going to try to go manual without using controllers except for monitoring temps.