Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hatch Chillies

Eoin
Eoin Posts: 4,304
I see a lot of discussion about Hatch chillies at harvest time and want to grow some over here this year. Hatch is the region, so if I'm going to grow them, what cultivar should I look for?

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    edited January 2022
    Eoin said:
    I see a lot of discussion about Hatch chillies at harvest time and want to grow some over here this year. Hatch is the region, so if I'm going to grow them, what cultivar should I look for?
    Not sure what you mean by cultivar.  They are New Mexican chillis grown in Hatch Valley, supposedly their flavor comes from the soil and the climate.  They are really good, I drive through Hatch, New Mexico a few times a year.  Also, the chilli is very similar to Anaheim Chillis.  If.you fire roast an Anaheim chilli you will be pretty close.

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,338
    Not real sure, but I think the closest you are going to find is an Anaheim Chili pepper. I could very well be wrong, the folks in Mew Mexico take their chilies pretty seriously. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    Not real sure, but I think the closest you are going to find is an Anaheim Chili pepper. I could very well be wrong, the folks in Mew Mexico take their chilies pretty seriously. 
    They do take their chilies very serious.  I want to register a car in New Mexico just so I can get one of their Chili Plates.

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Eoin
    They do take their chilies very serious.  I want to register a car in New Mexico just so I can get one of their Chili Plates.

The plate is very cool.
  • Eoin
    I've seen Anaheim mentioned as an equivalent, but since Hatch chillies aren't a thing over here, I have no idea where to start.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Order yourself some 505 Chili and sit back and relax. 

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544

That stuff is in grocery stores way up here. Great stuff. 
  • Eoin

Shipping to UK isn't cheap.
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    edited January 2022
    Eoin said:
    I've seen Anaheim mentioned as an equivalent, but since Hatch chillies aren't a thing over here, I have no idea where to start.
    The Anaheim chile is a descendant of the Hatch chile. Hatch chile seeds were first planted in the Anaheim, CA area in the late 1890's. By law, only chiles grown in the Hatch Valley region of New Mexico can be called Hatch chiles. It's the same concept as champagne only comes from the Champagne region of France.

Getting back to your question, search for Big Jim Legacy pepper seeds from the Hatch Valley, NM area. 

Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • Eoin
    1voyager said:
    Eoin said:
    The Anaheim chile is a descendant of the Hatch chile. Hatch chile seeds were first planted in the Anaheim, CA area in the late 1890's. By law, only chiles grown in the Hatch Valley region of New Mexico can be called Hatch chiles. It's the same concept as champagne only comes from the Champagne region of France.

Getting back to your question, search for Big Jim Legacy pepper seeds from the Hatch Valley, NM area. 

Got some.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Eoin said:

Don’t be so cheap. :)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Eoin
    Eoin said:

Don’t be so cheap. :)
    I got some seeds ordered, so on the way on the cheap .....
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Based on recent experience I can tell you that shipping from the UK is not cheap either.  I didn't have the opportunity to select air or target fleet freight rate.  Non perishable and ordered on a Friday, arrived the following Tuesday.   Some ships are fast but... =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Plutonium
    Plutonium Posts: 230

I have these plates on my car! The 505 company products are pretty good. I often resort to these when my annual frozen stash runs out. 

Like most regional produce, there’s several varieties lumped into a generalized name and they have a wide range of spice level. I mostly get big Jim and Sandia hot varieties. 
    Albuquerque, NM - LBGE and an old rusted gasser that I use for accessory storage.