Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Replacing a key fob for a car

LegumeLegume Posts: 12,045
I believe I have lost a key fob for my 2018 Ford F-150.  I was at the local dealer today picking up my truck after getting some recall reprogramming done on the truck and I asked about a replacement.  $460ish for the fob, cutting the emergency key that’s inside of it and programming it. And I think that’s before taxes.

A few googles shows there are a ton of businesses that sell OEM replacement hardware for anywhere from $80 to $250, but it’s not one you can program yourself, has to be a dealer or locksmith with the right setup.

Does anyone have experience with this?  I didn’t ask the dealer what they would charge to just program and I haven’t called locksmiths yet either.  I do want to get the right fob for the truck, not a 3rd party ‘universal’ one.

Thoughts?  Horror or success stories?   Am I trust buying “OEM” off some internet site? (Key fobs r us)

Comments

• RRPRRP Posts: 24,313
    Sounds like a dealer rip off to me! When my wife lost her key ring I was able to replace the fob with a similar one bought at ACE for $80 dollars and they programmed it for free.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SamIAm2SamIAm2 Posts: 1,443
    edited January 7
    A little googling for "Program 2018 Ford F-150 Flip Key Remote Fob" should help. As for the emergency key, isn't that only to unlock the door? Once the fob is programmed you should be able to unlock the truck.  You may need two working fobs to perform the programming.

Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • LegumeLegume Posts: 12,045
    Ace programmed it or the dealer?
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 25,045
    I have never been down that need road but having key fob vehicles and wondering about that issue, the trick-sack you are confronted with is consistent with my findings. The OEM dealer quote is within the lines of  what I have found.  I also have read where going with a 3rd party website replacement has had about a 50% success rate.
    To me, not worth the challenges and angst.  FWIW-
    (no affiliation with any of the above services or products.)
    Louisville; "indeterminate Jim" here.  Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!
    edited January 7
    SamIAm2 said:
    A little googling for "Program 2018 Ford F-150 Flip Key Remote Fob" should help. As for the emergency key, isn't that only to unlock the door? Once the fob is programmed you should be able to unlock the truck. 

It’s the five button fob, the one you can’t program yourself.

True, the key is really only to unlock the door of the battery is completely dead.

I’m not locked out, I have the other fob, so I’m fine, just don’t have a second set and I need to get that second one replaced.
    lousubcap said:
    I have never been down that need road but having key fob vehicles and wondering about that issue, the trick-sack you are confronted with is consistent with my findings. The OEM dealer quote is within the lines of  what I have found.  I also have read where going with a 3rd party website replacement has had about a 50% success rate.
    To me, not worth the challenges and angst.  FWIW-
    (no affiliation with any of the above services or products.)
    I know, I feel similarly, but then I asked myself, WWNolaD?
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 39,248
    Depending on the type of smart key, this will cost $10 to cut the key and you can reprogram with your old fob and truck

KeylessOption Keyless Entry Car Remote Uncut Ignition Flip Key Fob for Ford F150 F250 N5F-A08TAA https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V6M72WQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_2C5STV4NB4HED2E64XGP?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
  • BotchBotch Posts: 12,332
    Legume said:
    It’s the five button fob, the one you can’t program yourself.
    I wonder if this falls under the recently-passed "Right-to-Fix" law (the computer/smartphone/iThingie crowd has been very happy about this recently).  

• CTMikeCTMike Posts: 2,762
    edited January 7
    We lost a fob for the wife’s GC - was able to buy a new OEM fob on the interwebz for $50 or so, dealer charged me $65 to program it.
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • alaskanassasinalaskanassasin Posts: 5,018
    Where did you loose them?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.
    Where did you loose them?
    Several states away.  No risk of them finding their way back to where the truck is.  I believe it was in a field where we were camping.
  • RRPRRP Posts: 24,313
    Legume said:
    Ace programmed it or the dealer?
    I assumed you asked me and yes it was some lady clerk!   I only saw her there for maybe 2 times and she sure wasn’t the owner nor any special clerical person! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 16,066
    When I bought my Ram 1500 from Carmax a few years back, they lost one key fob in the process of washing/detailing the truck,  when I picked it up. It was on them to provide me with 2 key fobs at the time of sale. I had to schedule a time with them, to meet a guy with a backpack, who was their key fob guy. 

So, there has to be a place (other than the dealer) that can program your key fob. The app Nextdoor is "hyperlocal", and often has good recs for service vendors (plumbers, garage door repair, in my own experience). 

Also, Ebay may be an option to purchase the key fob. Then, have it programmed somewhere locally. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 19,638
    Wife lost hers to 17 Sienna Van. Not going to pay the $400+. Just take the chance of not losing the other before trade-in. 
    Very few of the Internet work and some will cost you a bunch to fix ignition after trying. 
    That’s about all i learned after 40+ years with Toyota. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Ozzie_IsaacOzzie_Isaac Posts: 12,974
    caliking said:
    When I bought my Ram 1500 from Carmax a few years back, they lost one key fob in the process of washing/detailing the truck,  when I picked it up. It was on them to provide me with 2 key fobs at the time of sale. I had to schedule a time with them, to meet a guy with a backpack, who was their key fob guy. 

So, there has to be a place (other than the dealer) that can program your key fob. The app Nextdoor is "hyperlocal", and often has good recs for service vendors (plumbers, garage door repair, in my own experience). 

Also, Ebay may be an option to purchase the key fob. Then, have it programmed somewhere locally. 
    Did he sell meat as a side gig too?
    If it is worth doing, it is worth overdoing.

Some Eggs, some Weber stuff, the occasional Traeger, and various other things that make flames and hold coals.
  • Photo EggPhoto Egg Posts: 11,298
    caliking said:

No, just lump charcoal.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 16,066
    Photo Egg said:
    caliking said:

No, just lump charcoal.lol
    I know a guy like that =)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    Mickey said:
    Wife lost hers to 17 Sienna Van. Not going to pay the $400+. Just take the chance of not losing the other before trade-in. 
    Very few of the Internet work and some will cost you a bunch to fix ignition after trying. 
    @Mickey what’s the deal with fixing the ignition?  
  • littlerascal56littlerascal56 Posts: 1,373
    Secret recipe is don’t lose either of the 2 factory ones before it’s time to trade vehicles!

Napoleon Prestige 500

Blackstone 36"

Oklahoma Joe's BRONCO drum

• MickeyMickey Posts: 19,638
    Legume said:
    Mickey said:
    @Mickey what’s the deal with fixing the ignition?  
    Sorry. Old school administrator term calling anything to do with key.  It’s electronic and can’t name exactly without a tech talking in my ear. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.