Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Creekstone Duroc Pork Butt

dstearn
dstearn Posts: 1,702
edited January 2022 in EggHead Forum
Dry Brined with Kosher Salt and Salt Free Dizzy Dust. Pulled at 200 and FTC for four hours.

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Looks fantastic.
    How was it?
    Noticeable increase in quality/flavor compared to grocery store pork? 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    First it was Angus beef and now Duroc pork. Is it really better than a Spotted Poland China?
    Cooking on the coast
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    edited January 2022
    BikerBob said:
    First it was Angus beef and now Duroc pork. Is it really better than a Spotted Poland China?
    Yes.  The heritage breeds of pigs really do have a different, richer flavor profile.  Many commercial breeds are based off Duroc, but the original is noticably better.

I am a big fan of Berkshire pigs.  Kurobuta is decent too, but in my experience it is almost too fatty.

Usually it has no added solutions like you find in grocery store pork.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,061
    BikerBob said:
    Yes.  The heritage breeds of pigs really do have a different, richer flavor profile.  Many commercial breeds are based off Duroc, but the original is noticably better.

I am a big fan of Berkshire pigs.  Kurobuta is decent too, but in my experience it is almost too fatty.

In my area Duroc is about 25% higher in cost.  Well worth it for spares and BB's in my opinion.  Have not noticed much difference when doing butts, although I seem to always buy when they're on sale.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    Great, just goes to show, "you're never to old to learn something new." Thanks for the information. My local IGA cuts meat in house, and this is not injected, but Kroger and WalMart, my other options are. 
    Cooking on the coast
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Photo Egg said:
    Looks fantastic.
    How was it?
    Thanks, it was very good. Once you start cooking Duroc it is hard to go back.

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    dstearn said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Looks fantastic.
    How was it?
    Thanks, it was very good. Once you start cooking Duroc it is hard to go back.

Thank you. Appreciate your review.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 900
    I thought I was the only one who was disappointed in Kurobuta pork. I didn't think it was too fatty, but it sure didn't have the flavor difference I expected for the price difference.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    I called a local meat locker and their pigs are a duroc & berkshire blend.  Will have to try one of theirs soon.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • We love Kurobuta.  We have ordered it many times from Snake River Farms.  Far superior to supermarket pork, and worth every penny.

@Ozzie_Isaac Bwekshire pigs are the same breed as Kurobuta.

Just received an order from Creekstone.  I wish I had thought about pork.  Next time!  Thanks for the post.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    We love Kurobuta.  We have ordered it many times from Snake River Farms.  Far superior to supermarket pork, and worth every penny.

@Ozzie_Isaac Bwekshire pigs are the same breed as Kurobuta.

Just received an order from Creekstone.  I wish I had thought about pork.  Next time!  Thanks for the post.  
    Interesting with Berkshire and Kurobuta.  I really like Berkshire chops, the Kurobuta from SRF was phenomenal once, then meh the next two times, so I don't get it from them anymore.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Ozzie_Isaac said:
    Interesting with Berkshire and Kurobuta.  I really like Berkshire chops, the Kurobuta from SRF was phenomenal once, then meh the next two times, so I don't get it from them anymore.
    Growing up in SD my folks bought a half-cow and a full butchered pig (or half that amount, I can't remember) for the deep freezer annually.  They used the same butcher in MN the entire time.  
    There was one year the beef was sub-par, everyone in the family noticed it (the pork, no difference that anyone could tell).
    I can't help but think that meats have the same susceptibility to environmental fluctuations like wines do (terriore, rainfall, avg temperature). We almost need a vertical tasting of meats, from different growing regions (Volunteer!)  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    edited January 2022
    BikerBob said:

Where is the agree button? anywho... #Agree
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum