Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse sear using Egg and Gas Grill

Options
dstearn
dstearn Posts: 1,702
edited December 2021 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone done a reverse sear using the Egg to smoke and a gas grill to sear? I have a Kitchenaid 4 burner with an infrared sear burner. Plan is to smoke a tri tip on the egg at 250 until 115 internal. Then sear on the gas grill. That way I can use the egg for an overnight low and slow without having to wait for the Egg temp to get back to 250.

Comments

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    I am sure it would work. I don't see any reason it won't.  There are any number of ways to get your sear.

Good luck!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,509
    Options
    As mentioned above, all you are looking for is to get the crust.  Any high heat (higher the better) source will achieve that end.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options
    I have had a really nice 4 burner gas grill for many years, but when I started getting interested in smoking, I knew that it would not be ideal for that purpose. Six years ago I bought an XL Egg, and the grill was used much, much less. But I almost always use it for the final sear on anything that needs it. It has Grill Grates with the smooth side up and does a great job when I get it to around 800 degrees. it is much easier than waiting or the Egg to get to temp, and then losing all your arm hair and eyebrows when you forget to burp it. 
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • UncleKeith
    UncleKeith Posts: 39
    edited December 2021
    Options
    I see no reason you can’t sear on the gasser. However, if you have a charcoal chimney and spare grate you can afterburner whatever you want to sear. This particular prime rib was seared first then slow cooked.

• danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 689
    Options
    I often do the reverse sear on my gasser. I cook to 120F internal on the BGE, then pull and wrap in foil, then reverse sear a few mins before serving.

After smoking, but before the sear I cut the tri tip in half along the "seam".

This allows me to sear the narrower end less than the larger end.

The one below was smoked at my house, wrapped then seared later at a friend's. 

current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 689
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Here is another with better pics of the finished cook. Same cook style. 120 F internal, then seared. This one I seared whole. 

current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22