Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib Roast Bones

I decided to keep the uncooked bones from our rib roast on Christmas. Any ideas/recipes for a good use for the 7 bone rack, plus some other trimmings?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Beef back ribs are what you have.  Slow smoke until they pass the toothpick test, figure 6-7 hrs at 250-260*F on the dome.  Pull the membrane,I use worcestershire sauce as a binder.  Use a rub of your choice.  On the BGE bone side down.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lecrams
    lecrams Posts: 116
    edited December 2021
    I had thought about that, but I didn't think there was that much meat on there. Maybe there's more than I thought. 
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    edited December 2021
    Afterwards, use the cooked bones to make beef broth.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    edited December 2021
    If there isn't much meat on them, I would make beef stock.  Coat the bones in Olive Oil and roast at 400°F for 45 minutes.  Scrape all the beefy bits off the tray and the beefy bits and the bones in a pot.  Cover with water, add onion, carrot, celery, any herbs, and your trimmings to the water. Don't salt.  Slow (180-190°) simmer.  Don't boil vigorously.  Simmer for up to 8 hours. Strain through doubled cheesecloth to get out the gritty bits.  You can freeze.

This will make very rich broth/stock and would make excellent French Onion Soup, stew, or any other beefy liquid dish.  

Clinton, Iowa
  • Scott805
    Scott805 Posts: 349
    I did what @Langner91suggested with my three bones this weekend.  Best broth I have ever tasted.  Used Amazing Ribs recipe.

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

• lecrams
    lecrams Posts: 116
    Perfect, thank you! 
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,510
    lecrams said:
    I had thought about that, but I didn't think there was that much meat on there. Maybe there's more than I thought. 
    Depends on how thick you or the butcher cut them off the rest of the roast. If they cut it right down to the bone, there is still some meat between them, but you'll have to pick those babies up with your hand and start chewing away ... eating everything down to the bone ... if that's not your style of eating, I agree, make a nice broth out of them.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,205
    I made stock with mine. I cut them off prior to coating the roast with herbs for a two week aging process. I coated them with oil and the same herbs, then roasted them on a sheet pan in the oven along with some unpeeled chopped carrots, chopped celery, a quartered onion (skin on), and a handful of garlic cloves. Roast at about 400* until everything is nice and brown. Then I put everything in a stew pot, covered with water, and simmered it for 12 hours. I thought about breaking or cutting the bones to release the marrow but it came out the ends just fine. After the long simmer I strained all the liquid into a mason jar. There was so much collagen that the whole batch turned to jello when cooled. The fat that rose to the top was used for the roux component in the Christmas gravy, along with the rest of the gelatinized stock. It was the most intense beefy gravy I've ever made.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,510
    I cooked my rib roast with 4 bones on. For the left overs, to more easily pack away, I cut the bones off the roast. Well, last night I had two of those bones ... there was more than enough meat between them to fill me up, but like I said above, you're gonna have to chew into those bones pretty good, and have a toothpick ready.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!