Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Raising coals for fast hot direct?

Options
Anyone raised the coals for a short hot direct felt line cooking grate cook? 
current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 

Comments

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    What are you trying to cook?  I am not understanding what mean by raising the coals.

When I want a hot direct cook, I take the grid down to the fire ring, or lower.  I get the cooking grid as close to the coals as I can.  But, it is always below the felt line.

Getting your coals hot at the felt line is a sure fire way to roast a gasket (Unless you have an upgraded gasket) or cause other problems.  

Clinton, Iowa
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    The easiest deal here is to lower the cooking surface as mentioned by @Langner91.  Pull the ring and get yourself a 17" grate that fits at that height or get something even smaller that you can drop right on the lump.  
    If you want to get after it, then just go caveman.  You'll be glad you did.  Should you try any of the above, the closer you get the longer the necessary tongs and the faster the thermo.  FWIW-
    Merry Christmas.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 684
    Options
    Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I want to cook at the normal grate height, use my CI grate but raise the coals to get a hotter direct cook.  

So basically raise coals to the level of the fire ring

I've tried removing the fire ring and cooking with a different size grate over the fire bowl, but its a pain to reach down into it. Even with long tongs and leather gloves.
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    You can fill the fire bowl up to the top of the fire ring.  Fill her up and let her rip.  

Just remember to burp it.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options
    ^^^Agree Button^^^
    Las Vegas, NV

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Like others have said, fill the lump to top of fire ring. 
    Even using a raised ring at felt level, temps will be raging hot.
    I agree with you on trying to sear lower in the Egg.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 684
    Options
    Ok. My kids gave me a CGS spider and heavy duty 13 inch heavy duty stainless grate so I'll try cooking closer to the coals. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    danhoo said:
    Ok. My kids gave me a CGS spider and heavy duty 13 inch heavy duty stainless grate so I'll try cooking closer to the coals. 
    Timely gift!

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month