Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Air-dried tomato from Mt. Vesuvius

Options
Botch
Botch Posts: 15,491
Hi, I'm Botch and I'm a tomato freak.

My favorite french videographer had some pizza using these "air-dried" tomatoes, and returned to Naples Italy to track them down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAdG4LwcDZA

The small tomatoes are picked fresh end of summer, left on the vine, and hung to air-dry sans refrigeration.  They apparently stay edible until the next summer (I've seen this technique before on other cooking shows).  I had to chuckle when the farmer said that the higher altitude/colder weather made the tomatoes grow a thicker skin, which protected them (his farm was within walking distance of the Mediterranean, in southern Italy!)   
Alex carried a bunch of the tomatoes to an even higher restaurant (maybe 200 feet) and they cooked up an extremely simple dish: a clove of garlic, sautéed in olive oil, add the whole small tomatoes and basil, and then dress spaghetti with it.

Has anyone here tried drying fresh tomatoes on the vine?  Wintertime grocery tomatoes are nasty, but not the small cherry/grape size, and there are now even mid-sized 'maters on the vine which I believe are grown in greenhouses in the NE (other cooking shows, again) which aren't too bad.    

I'm again dreaming of picking up one of those €1 cottages in southern Italy, and scooting before Civil War II begins.  I know there will be humidity and language challenges, but still...

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

Comments