Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Cheese

Options
When you cold smoke cheese how long should it rest before you eat it ? I vacuum seal it and then put in the refrigerator. 
I waited 6 months, wondered what the least time rest would be.
 Thanks 
Pure Michigan
Grand Rapids, Michigan  LBGE, SBGE

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Two weeks and you should be good to go. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    I agree (but there is no button).  I rest it for two weeks.  

I also don't vacuum seal because some soft cheeses react poorly to vacuum sealing.  I like to smoke both hard, soft and semi-soft cheese, so I just wrap tightly in saran before putting in a zipper bag.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • RLS
    RLS Posts: 41
    Options
    Otter,

I agree with the above posts....

When I do a cold smoke, I let the cheese rest in the refrigerator over night wrapped in butcher or parchment paper. Then vacuum pack and wait 2-3 weeks which seems to be a decent length of time to let it mellow.

Rick
    Rick in Tampa
  • OhioEgger
    Options
    I've never waited more than a week. A few days seems to be all that's needed for my level of unsophisticated palate.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.