Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What are your "COMFORT" foods? (and optionally, your spirit animal...)

2»

Comments

• jones2289
    jones2289 Posts: 56
    edited December 2021
    +1 to the biscuits and gravy with hot sauce splashed on top, and not mixed in the gravy.  Canned biscuits for nostalgia, or whatever recipe on google comes closest to the ingredients we have on hand.  

Beef cubed steak - cooked similar to salisbury steak, with gravy and mashed potatoes.  Something my dad used to make, and I can't seem to replicate his.  

His advice on cube steak, which holds true given the price:quality ratio... - "it's nothing more than tough-a$$ round steak run through the tenderizer, so don't buy it unless it's on sale."    

I'll throw in a third and say chicken and noodles with mashed potatoes.  Nothing like a Midwest plate of beige...

Spirit animal...I'd say a red panda...

Indianapolis, IN
  • bubbajack said:
    Biscuits and Gravy with Frank’s Red Hot splashed on top. 
    I put that Chit on everything!
    Pre hot sauce pic of the breakfast I dream about 30 times a year and get about 3 times a year. 

Biscuit on the bottom and of course that’s sweet tea, it was summer. 

• keener75
    keener75 Posts: 394
    Tuna melts and Italian Wedding soup with Saltine crackers is my comfort food.
    I would say my spirit animal is the Owl. I've always wanted a cool owl tattoo.
    St Marys, Ontario, Canada  LBGE
  • Grilled cheese topped with granulated garlic and salt with dill pickles.  Kraft Mac and cheese and has to be the spirals.  Good burger as well.

Spirit animal, probably a mule. I’m stubborn, like to work, and as a work in progress, I’m only half the donkey I used to be.
  • Classic spaghetti with meat sauce is at the pinnacle.  I can still remember as child taking leftover cold spaghetti and slapping it between two pieces of Wonder bread for a snack.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,171
    butter fried split top roll. filled with melted cheese or a deep fried hot dog wrapped in cheese, covered in rhode island chili sauce and sauerkraut,  or just filled with homemade baked beans.  spirit animals are snowy white owls and basking sharks, i have two
    @fishlessman, Got a recipe or link for the rhode island chili sauce? I live next door and never heard of it. Thanks.

go alot lighter on the allspice. butter fry the dogs.  rhode island calls it a new york system though its not a new york style. never seen the dogs outside of rhode island either, they are pork and veal and small, maybe 4 inches. you dont buy one, you buy 4. i use old tyme kayem for these as a substitute. make the sauce loose enough to use a ladle
    pay attention to the allspice, its overpowering if your not a greasy portuguese. this recipe has too much even for me, start with a quarter teaspoon, then make it to taste or dont add more

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    Botch said:
    Yno said:
    ...a grilled cheese sandwich. With potato chips.
    Surprised you were the first to mention a gc; my comfort food also, although I'd replace the chips with tomato soup (Campbell's™ is fine).  
    I don't have a "spirit animal", whatever that is.  

my go to tomato soup is ragu brand spaghetti sauce mixed with milk
    fukahwee maine

• Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Botch said:
    Yno said:
    ...a grilled cheese sandwich. With potato chips.
    Surprised you were the first to mention a gc; my comfort food also, although I'd replace the chips with tomato soup (Campbell's™ is fine).  
    I don't have a "spirit animal", whatever that is.  
    Yes. This guy gets it GC and tomato soup. #Me too.

Ynette loves 'tomahto bisque' with grilled cheese sandwiches. We had some the other night. I'm okay with it, but not with dunking the sammy in it - too messy. And potato chips go with the soup, too!
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,764
    Biscuits and sausage gravy.
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Toasted crumpets. At the moment, PB & J is my go-to topping.
  • fishlessman
    Eoin said:

dont think ive ever seen a crumpet, i might be walking right by them in the store picking up english muffins
    fukahwee maine

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,781
    red lentils and rice. Dollop of ghee. Eggplant rounds, seasoned with turmeric and salt, pan fried in mustard oil. I guess its Bengali comfort food. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Nachos
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Eoin
    caliking said:
    red lentils and rice. Dollop of ghee. Eggplant rounds, seasoned with turmeric and salt, pan fried in mustard oil. I guess its Bengali comfort food. 
    Dal & rice and brinjal bhaji are 2 of our vegan staples (no ghee).
  • Eoin
    Eoin said:

dont think ive ever seen a crumpet, i might be walking right by them in the store picking up english muffins