Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cover for egg

Options
Does anybody here cover their egg during the winter months if your area has snow?

im wondering if I should buy a cover or not since it’s just ceramic.

Comments

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    I cover all year, including for those long, cold winter months. I have seen many on here who do not cover during the winter, so I think it’s just a matter of personal preference. I like keeping the elements off my Egg and table, whether sun, rain, snow or sleet.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,037
    Options
    I do not cover mine.  When I lived in less hospitable climates I would put aluminum foil between the lid.  Helped keep the gasket from freezing together.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I don't even cover the inside!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,373
    Options
    Usually I leave one uncovered for convenience 

Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • Tip2Tip
    Tip2Tip Posts: 100
    Options
    My father always told me "if yer gonna go out in the rain, put on a raincoat!"

I figured that means I should buy a cover for my egg.  I want to, but I can never find the time with all of these rugrats running around the house.  
    California
  • Mr1egg
    Mr1egg Posts: 367
    Options
    I love those pictures….. all the hardware has no issues after years of not covered?  No rust or problems? 
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    Options
    i cover all year and just use a bunjie to hold it around the middle

Columbus, Ohio
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    I keep mine covered when not using, but it's as much to protect the table and bands as than anything.
    Stillwater, MN
  • chzplz
    chzplz Posts: 59
    Options
    Canadian here - we get lots of snow.   I don't cover mine.  After my first year, I learned to leave a shim between the base and the lid so they don't freeze together. 
  • Mr1egg
    Options
    Where r u in Canada?
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 684
    Options
    I cover mine to keep tree sap and bird crap off it. 
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I realize that my 77 trips around the sun makes me ancient to some of you here…but my late Father taught me to buy the BEST tool that I could afford (or whatever just like the 4 BGEs that I still have) and THEN take care of them and they will last you your lifetime!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    I cover mine. My wife ordered me a special cover from some website and it fits great over my custom table. Protects the wood from the heat, keeps the snow off, and best of all, it keeps all my accessories and wood chips etc (my table is a mess) dry. 
    NW IOWA
  • Mr1egg
    Options
    Just finished that table last week.
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    I always figured after the meal and the cleanup, I would forget to go back out after the egg was cool enough to cover.  Mine stays hot for hours.  Who wants to go outside that late to wrestle with a cover after dark, in the cold / rain / wind?  

I have not seen any data on how much longer they last covered versus uncovered.  I could see the bands/springs/hinges needing to be replaced sooner.

Mr1egg said:
    Just finished that table last week.
    It is hard to tell with this forum's habit of turning pictures, but how close is that egg to the vinyl siding? 
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Mr1egg
    Options
    I would say 6-8 inches away. I don’t ever do any high heat cooks so I’m not to worried about the vinyl, but we’ll see. 
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    You should be fine. Good looking table!

Clinton, Iowa
  • Mr1egg
    Options
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    4TheGrillOfIt Posts: 741
    edited November 2021
    Options
    I have covers for all of my Eggs.  The dome covers tend to trap water at the hinges and I have to shake them out after rain.  Usually one Egg is always uncovered from the last cook.
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    no cover here.  a single sided rutland gasket  doesnt freeze the dome shut like the stock gaskets, @RRP sells them at cost with installment directions
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mr1egg
    Options
    Anybody here have rusty bands? 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Im in North Texas so hot humid summers and mild winters. I stopped covering mine after about a year. Mine are under a covered patio though so not worried about the elements much. If they were out in the open I'd probably throw the cover back on to protect from the occasional hail storms we get. Not really any rust to speak of on mine after 3 years.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• fishlessman
    Options
    Mr1egg said:
    Anybody here have rusty bands? 

the one i have in maine lives in a snowbank in winter and sits in the mud in the spring and fall, no real rust issues. it may be more an issue with salt on the coast. have had ducks swim around it during the spring rain with water halfway up the lower vent. on mine a cover might trap more moisture in there and without i usually need to do a preburn friday night to cook on it sat/sunday to dry it out anyways. the glaze crazing is another issue, one egg is crazed, the other is still glossy green, does not seem to be weather dependent
    fukahwee maine

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    No cover camp here. PSA for folks with cover, be careful if you cover with ceramic cap on…don’t let the cap come off with the cover!
    canuckland
  • bbracey21
    Options
    Mine are covered when not in use. Mainly to protect form the elements but also tree sap & bird poop. I figured the longer I can preserve my table and eggs the better. Covers are relatively cheap compared to the cost we all have invested in our egg(s), table(s) & multiple accessories.
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,079
    Options
    I used a vented vinyl cover from BGE for first couple years of ownership.  Condensation and spiders were issues, so stopped using it.  10+ years on with no detriment to ceramics, bands or nest.
    Note that I see summer temps in 90's, occasional triple digits, and winters can go below zero with plenty of snow.  There is some protection from a umbrella about 5' over the Egg.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Mr1egg said:
    I would say 6-8 inches away. I don’t ever do an heat cooks so I’m not to worried about the vinyl, but we’ll see. 
    I’ll have to look back to find the thread. But a  long time egger here shared his pictures of  his plastic siding and plastic window frames all melted from “mere heat” cooking bacon!  He and his wife thankfully escaped DEATH. Why not spin that table 180 degrees?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mr1egg
    Options
    RRP said:
    Mr1egg said:
    I would say 6-8 inches away. I don’t ever do an heat cooks so I’m not to worried about the vinyl, but we’ll see. 
    I’ll have to look back to find the thread. But a  long time egger here shared his pictures of  his plastic siding and plastic window frames all melted from “mere heat” cooking bacon!  He and his wife thankfully escaped DEATH. Why not spin that table 180 degrees?
    The two grills are positioned closer to the front of that table and pretty much the same distance apart from side to side. I’m actually having a rib bbq today and will be using both grills so I’ll feel how hot the siding gets today during the 3-2-1 method. Also the location of these grills are in a relatively high wind area. I measured yesterday and it was 10 inches away from the siding. 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Mr1egg said:
    RRP said:
    Mr1egg said:
    The two grills are positioned closer to the front of that table and pretty much the same distance apart from side to side. I’m actually having a rib bbq today and will be using both grills so I’ll feel how hot the siding gets today during the 3-2-1 method. Also the location of these grills are in a relatively high wind area. I measured yesterday and it was 10 inches away from the siding. 

have you experienced a flashback yet with the egg, it will instantly melt the front of your jacket and may be enough to buckle the siding
    fukahwee maine

• Mr1egg
    Options
    Mr1egg said:
    RRP said:
    Mr1egg said:

have you experienced a flashback yet with the egg, it will instantly melt the front of your jacket and may be enough to buckle the siding
    No not yet, I do low and slow I never do high heat cooks on either of my bbqs. If I do decide to do a high heat cook I will defiantly be looking out for my siding.