Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can anyone tell me what year my big green egg was made

Best Answers

Answers

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,660
    Corporate might be able to if you send them ther serial number.   Others here will ballpark the era.  @stlcharcoal@pgprescott
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,999
    kl8ton said:
    Corporate might be able to if you send them ther serial number.   Others here will ballpark the era.  @stlcharcoal@pgprescott
    None of my 4 eggs purchased from 2000 to 2004 ever had any serial number. Even the printed cards which SOMETIMES were inside an egg which you used to register your ownership never had serial numbers. 

• The firebox has numbers and letters on the top.. and numbers in 4 digit on the back on the outside of the firebox
  • RRP
    Dudekev65 said:
    The firebox has numbers and letters on the top.. and numbers in 4 digit on the back on the outside of the firebox
    Maybe now…but that guy’s pictured egg is much older! 
  • RRP
    edited October 2021
    So sorry  - I just  now realized you were the OP,

Good luck finding  your answer , but I still think you should NOT hold your breath!

BTW other than just being curious why do you even care when it was made?
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,705
    Dudekev65 said:

No wood on the handle just what you see
    Not the handle, the hinge will better date it.  Lot of changes to the hinge between the late 90s and early 2000s
  • PigBeanUs
    PigBeanUs Posts: 932
    edited October 2021
    Judging by the profile on the rim, which changed in April 2003 due to a production issue, and then *changed back* in mid-May, I would put the date of production between April 12, 2003 and May 7 (same year).

If you rip off the gasket, you will find a casting number. Let me know the last two digits (after the dash), and I can give you the actual day and hour. 

Source:
    Twenty-two years on the production line

EDIT:  most ceramic components sit for a couple weeks before they get paired with the hardware. So the casting date of the ceramics may be as much as a month behind the date a unit hits inventory as salable. 
  • RRP
    PigBeanUs said:
    Judging by the profile on the rim, which changed in April 2003 due to a production issue, and then *changed back* in mid-May, I would put the date of production between April 12, 2003 and May 7 (same year).

If you rip off the gasket, you will find a casting number. Let me know the last two digits (after the dash), and I can give you the actual day and hour. 

Source:

EDIT:  most ceramic components sit for a couple weeks before they get paired with the hardware. So the casting date of the ceramics may be as much as a month behind the date a unit hits inventory as salable. 
     =)=)=)=)=)
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,318
    edited October 2021
    PigBeanUs said:

Source:

They actually started the tooling change on April 12th, but it was a union job.  Planned to have it done by Monday the 14th, but actually got done on the 16th, proved in on the 17th and actual production resumed on the 18th.  They ran a half shift then stopped for the weekend.  Only made about 9 domes in the 18th.

So odds are your Dome was made between April 21st and May 6th 2003  Tooling change happened again on May 7th, no actual domes were molded that day.

I remember May 6th being the last day because there was a moment of silence in remembrance of the Hindenburg.

I am glad @PigBeanUs mentioned that change.  It was minor and if hadn't reminded me, I would not have noticed the slight chamfer change.  Typical cost cutting measure that did not cut cost.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,294
    the ceramics and lower ss vent look early 2000, the band is much older(it has a pivot type handle. early 2001 the spring bands were made in mexico, they were junk, and thats not a mexican spring band.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it