Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Maple Charcoal

Options
I found a Platinum BGE dealer about 20 miles away. Walked in and saw the charcoal, have not seen it elsewhere. They say that it is flying out of the store, can't keep it in stock. Sells out as soon as it arrives, guess I got lucky.

LG BGE,  Weber Genesis gas, Weber 22" Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    wonder if its made by basques. havent seen much about maple leaf up there, they may be gone
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    I’m guessing it could be one of these rebranded with a BGE bag…

canuckland
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,521
    Options
    We get it plenty up here in Toronto.  It's good, but I find it burns a bit hotter than the BGE Oak/Hickory ... so I don't use it for my lower temp cooks like brisket.

On another note, my buddy cooked a prime rib using the new BGE Brazilian charcoal ... wow, what an incredible smoke flavor, was absolutely spot on for that cook.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    I’m guessing it could be one of these rebranded with a BGE bag…

so maple leaf is still alive, i used to buy that by the pallets when wicked good was selling it with their comp blend. miss both of those
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    The only Canadian Maple I have tried:

It, too, flies off the shelf.

Seriously, I am interested in hearing how you like it!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Canugghead
    edited October 2021
    Options
    wonder if its made by basques. havent seen much about maple leaf up there, they may be gone
    You beat me to it.

Maple leaf changed their bag to black/whit/red, think Canuck hockey jersey. Price jumped to $22, $25.  It was $10 pre COVID.

I can still get Basques for $17 at local Costco business centre.

IIRC I have not bought lump in over five years, my stash is down to 11 8kg bags.
    canuckland
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Thanks for the nudge.  I periodically order Basques but with covid i have not given it a thought for 18 months plus.  Found Maple Leaf on line but I'm on the wrong side of the border.  =) So, I just ordered 24 kg (3 bags) of Basques from a source in upstate New York.
    Perfect timing as my stock of Rockwood was getting low and I needed a reload.  Next time will be Rockwood I promise. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,296
    edited October 2021
    Options
    I had the same thought re: rebranding. Both Basque’s and Maple Leaf are solid, so either would be great. 
  • Hansm
    Hansm Posts: 214
    Options
    I will look around for the other brands. The BGE bag was $36 USD a little pricey. 
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    never knew (until now) that BGE Maple lump was around
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Hansm
    Hansm Posts: 214
    Options
    Cooked a steak last night, the Maple is eggceptional !!!
  • Canugghead
    Options
    Hansm said:
    Cooked a steak last night, the Maple is eggceptional !!!
    Damn our best kept secret is exposed, watch  the price skyrockets  =)
    canuckland
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I’ve used a bag and thought it was quite good as well.