Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Problem. Thoughts?

Options
So I have been making briskets for the past year on the BGE and had a lot of success....  Last night I started one, and the plan all along has been to turn the entire brisket into burnt ends.  I did this last time and people liked it.  This morning I woke up and everything was going well... except there was some black smoke coming from the catch pan...  Also the brisket was at an internal temp of 170 and the bark was nice so I decided time to wrap...  I figured since I am wrapping it ill pull the pan so I dont have the black smoke...  I guess in hind sight it would not have mattered..  As I am pulling the pan I spill a bunch of the grease all over the patio..  Im now pressed for time as I gotta take my kid to school and while having the lid open the fire started raging.  I left the brisket wrapped and took my kid to school..  oh and shut the lid...  SORRY for the long story...  Now when I come home the internal temp is down to 125...  The fire is down to 170 and OUT...  I get the fire going again and get it stabilized and put the meat back on...  HOW BAD Is this going to effect the meat?  My plan is to leave it on until 197 pull it cube it and put it back on until 203 like I did last time.

THOUGHTS?

Jonas

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I would follow your plan.
    I'm shocked that your internal temp dropped from 170 to 125 while you were gone. Also, once foiled, the oven is a good option.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • EzraBrooks
    Options
    I have never seen black smoke come out of my egg. Next time try setting the drip pan on some balls of foil to provide an air gap between your plate setter and drip pan.  This will help keep drippings from burning.
  • SmokeyLosAngeles
    Options
    I have never seen black smoke come out of my egg. Next time try setting the drip pan on some balls of foil to provide an air gap between your plate setter and drip pan.  This will help keep drippings from burning.
    100%.  GOOD IDEA.  
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    sounds like a good plan.  I don't see any food safety issues if that was a question.
    Options
    Air gap to eliminate the black smoke as above. But should you ever encounter a cook (brisket or other heavy fat protein) where you end up with a grease fire in your BGE, pull the guts and toss in several ice cubes. 
    Yes water on grease but with lump fueling the fire so the irregular surface works to your advantage to get things back under control.  Been there, done that.   B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    A cheap wire bakers cooling rack will work muck better than foil balls. It will raise the drip pan securely and evenly.
    They are available in many sizes for 4-5 dollars and store easily for your next cook.
    Burnt ends look fantastic!

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Reading this:
    As I am pulling the pan I spill a bunch of the grease all over the patio..
    …with hot coals in the vicinity, scared the heck out of me; glad it worked out!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Photo Egg
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Botch said:
    Reading this:
    As I am pulling the pan I spill a bunch of the grease all over the patio..
    …with hot coals in the vicinity, scared the heck out of me; glad it worked out!  
    Made same mistake years ago. Now I try and judge my drip pan size according.
    When I do end up running full in the pan, I fold up several paper towels and slowly lay them in the drip pan to absorb the hot liquid. Then lift out paper towels with tongs. No more trying to move hot drip pan. 
    Cooking with Adjustable Rig is easier though. Just lift out entire rack including drip pan.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SmokeyLosAngeles
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    A cheap wire bakers cooling rack will work muck better than foil balls. It will raise the drip pan securely and evenly.
    They are available in many sizes for 4-5 dollars and store easily for your next cook.
    Burnt ends look fantastic!

THANKS FOR THIS IDEA
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    I would follow your plan.
    I'm shocked that your internal temp dropped from 170 to 125 while you were gone. Also, once foiled, the oven is a good option.
    I also agree. If pressed there is no shame finishing in the kitchen oven. Henry Soo's mantra is btus are btus