Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What temp do you not use the daisy wheel?

Cooking indirect platesetter up, going for about 375+ dome.

Daisy wheel? Or just manage temp from the bottom vent? 
current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited September 2021
    I use my daisy wheel for anything under 300 degrees. I ditch it for anything above that. Platesetter or no platesetter. I will control the temp with just the lower vent. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    edited September 2021
    I control temp from the top (smokeware cap), and leave the bottom vent alone. Saves on the bending down to adjust, etc. I’m lazy like that =)

I don’t egg anything >500F, so the smokeware cap stays on all the time. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,428
    WeberWho said:
    I use my daisy wheel for anything under 300 degrees. I ditch it for anything above that. Platesetter or no platesetter. I will control the temp with just the lower vent. 
    Ditto.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• I only use the daisy wheel cap for long cooks to help dial in the temperature.  I’m able to control the temperature for short cooks with only the bottom vent. 
    I think it's time for another beer!
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
    Living the dream in Wisconsin