Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Seasoning cast iron with your egg

Options
Anyone seasoned/re-seasoned their cast iron skillets, pans, etc with their egg? I’ve done the 500 degrees for an hour in a house a few times and it always smokes the place up, makes everyone’s eyes water. Thinking of doing it in the egg next time.

Comments

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Yes, the Egg is the place.  I only do mine on the Egg, usually after a cook.  Follow the same procedure as the oven inside.

I use an indirect setup.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    EggNorth said:
    Yes, the Egg is the place.  I only do mine on the Egg, usually after a cook.  Follow the same procedure as the oven inside.

I use an indirect setup.
    what oil do you use?
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    I have had similar experiences seasoning my iron but @paqman told me I was simply applying the oil too thick. 
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    It smokes quite a bit regardless of how much oil you apply so the egg is a great option.  Smoke is what you are looking for, you want the oil to reach the smoke point so that it polymerizes.  I apply the oil using a blue lint free disposable shop towel and I wipe as much oil as I can, I do the same as if I was drying a pan after washing it.  The oily pellicule that is left if sufficient. Remove as much oil as you can.  You cannot remove too much.  After doing that, you heat the pan, let it cool completely and repeat the whole process.

For my frying pan, I used flaxseed oil AFTER completely stripping it using the electrolysis method. It has been a couple of years now and it is holding strong with no flacking at all and it survived SWMBO using it to make tomato sauce 🤦‍♂️.

For my carbon steel wok, I also used flaxseed oil and there is some flaking toward the edges but it does not affect the food.  If I could do it again, I would use grape seed oil.

For my BlackStone, I initially used flaxseed oil over the stock coating and I ended up with lots of flacking.  So much flacking that I had to completely strip it with Easy Off earlier this year.  I redid the coating using grape seed oil and I am crossing fingers that it keeps looking as good as it does now.

edited September 2021
    Options
    I haven't done it in several years and only to a CI wok. Lit the lump, dome open and let it get rippin' hot. Set the wok directly on the coals (no oil) til it got hot. Then, I took the wok out and oiled it with a wadded up rag (wear welder's gloves). I think I used canola, not sure. Thin oil coat only, inside and out. Put it back on the coals and watched it turn black. Doesn't take long. Rocked it back and forth until it was black all over. Might have stir fried some scallions after, per Wok Shop recommendation, don't remember but it won't hurt.

YMMV!

Before (new, no seasoning)...

After (first cook). Still looks like this.

Good luck!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Other than avoiding the stink caused from seasoning your cast iron I prefer seasoning inside in my oven. Why? I have much more faith in nailing and maintaining my desired temperature for such seasoning! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.