Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket and Butt

Options
I'm planning a cook for the weekend, and I've got an 18lb brisket, and an 8lb butt to cook on my XL with an upper rack.  I want the Brisket to serve about 6pm on Saturday.  The Butt I'm cooking for a friend, so timing is not really important on it.

I'm thinking a grid temp of 225, how long will that brisket take?  18-20hrs??  I think the butt will probably be at 240 on the upper rack, and will take 10-12hrs.

Any concerns with the pork fat dripping on the brisket??  I'd think it would be a good thing.

It's my second brisket, and much larger than the other one I did.

Thanks!

Comments

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    I am a 250 to 275 temp smoker. Your time sounds close for both at your temp. In theory the butt above the brisket sounds good. I just wonder about the rub and bark on brisket. I am no expert just my thoughts.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    I am in the brisket over butt camp for a couple of reasons; the brisket will likely require more care and feeding than the butt and as noted above, initially the pork renderings can cause a rub/bark issue for the brisket.  
    Also if your brisket is 18 lbs pre-trim you will likely trim off 2+ lbs before you get rolling.  FWIW-
    @Wowens - PM sent with some brisket info.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Wowens
    Wowens Posts: 115
    Options
    six_egg said:
    I am a 250 to 275 temp smoker. Your time sounds close for both at your temp. In theory the butt above the brisket sounds good. I just wonder about the rub and bark on brisket. I am no expert just my thoughts.
    I normally do butts at 250, but I see alot of people doing brisket at 225, and I thought it gives me a little room to bump to 250 if I need it to finish faster.

How long at 250 do you think the brisket would take?
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    I most definitely would not want the fat from a pork butt dripping on my brisket.  As far as timing goes, it is far from an exact science.  I’ve had brisket finish three or four hours sooner than I planned.  Maybe I suck at planning.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    @4TheGrillOfIt - That's why the wide FTC window is the target on any brisket cook.  You can do all the planning and ciphering you want but always remember, "The friggin cow drives the cook." 
    Yes sir, I have been there many times on both sides of that issue.  Just know it's out of your control to an extent. Extending a fast finishing brisket cook is harder than powering a slow learner across the finish-line.  But that brisket cook is so much fun for all the audibles.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.