Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

JJ George torch question

Options
Powak
Powak Posts: 1,391
I’ve got a JJ George torch I haven’t used in a while because of how quick it seems to burn thru the bottles. Anyone use one with a hose and 20 lb tank on here? 

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Odd.  I've had one a few years and I'm still on my original propane bottle (with about a year vacation due to a spider clog in the chamber).  How long do you take to light your Egg, and how many times a week?  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    I get at least a year out of 1 16oz bottle. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    I get about three months out of a bottle and use it several times a week. 
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • Powak
    Options
    Botch said:
    Odd.  I've had one a few years and I'm still on my original propane bottle (with about a year vacation due to a spider clog in the chamber).  How long do you take to light your Egg, and how many times a week?  
    I light my egg about 3-4 times a week plus weekends sometimes and got maybe a month out of bottle. I run it about 2 minutes or so per lightoff. I’ve been having issues getting the fire to spread lately with the bernzomatic, so I cleaned out behind the fire box and there wasn’t enough ash and coal pieces to slow down the air flow so I’m assuming it’s either how I light, the coal I’m using or the Kickash can.
  • SonVolt
    Options
    I do 10 seconds a spot, maybe 3-4 spots. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    Powak said:
    I’ve got a JJ George torch I haven’t used in a while because of how quick it seems to burn thru the bottles. Anyone use one with a hose and 20 lb tank on here? 

those propane bottles are noted for leaking, one company bought out the competitors a few years back and lots of them leak after the first use. only way around it i know of is to buy the tank cap online and use it.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    I go through maybe 2 bottles a year. I don't see the issue
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Powak
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Does that work on reused coal too? I gotta try that. Wasting too much fuel here.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    If you have an electric outlet nearby, you can use torch as ‘starter’. Start sparking in about 10 secs max and finish with hairdryer… faster, saves gas, and avoid holding potentially leaky cylinder near the fire for extended period. My two cents.

canuckland
  • SonVolt
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Powak said:
    SonVolt said:
    Does that work on reused coal too? I gotta try that. Wasting too much fuel here.

Yep. It may barely look lit, but it's lit.  The coals picks up steam pretty quick in the next 10+ minutes. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

I actually have the filler adapter but I haven't had a chance to use it. 

Options
    If you have an electric outlet nearby, you can use torch as ‘starter’. Start sparking in about 10 secs max and finish with hairdryer… faster, saves gas, and avoid holding potentially leaky cylinder near the fire for extended period. My two cents.

Man that’s genius. I’ve got an electric starter I’m might go back to and give it a good 10-15 minutes In the coal instead of 7-8.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    fwiw: a heat gun (even the cheapest harbor freight) will 100% work to start your fire.

$17

https://www.harborfreight.com/1500-watt-11-amp-dual-temperature-heat-gun-56434.html?cid=paid_google|||56434&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=&utm_content=&gclid=Cj0KCQjw6NmHBhD2ARIsAI3hrM2pY1FM4A2SUWT7JZuBcAOcsoGiIlq6gt1M-gXuvrDVQvdCNof88XIaAkblEALw_wcB

Options
    fwiw: a heat gun (even the cheapest harbor freight) will 100% work to start your fire.

$17

https://www.harborfreight.com/1500-watt-11-amp-dual-temperature-heat-gun-56434.html?cid=paid_google|||56434&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=&utm_content=&gclid=Cj0KCQjw6NmHBhD2ARIsAI3hrM2pY1FM4A2SUWT7JZuBcAOcsoGiIlq6gt1M-gXuvrDVQvdCNof88XIaAkblEALw_wcB

Oooo! Is that your go-to? That’s a great deal. Got a harbor freight about 10 minutes from here. How long does it take to get the coal going with one of those?
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Powak said:

$17

Oooo! Is that your go-to? That’s a great deal. Got a harbor freight about 10 minutes from here. How long does it take to get the coal going with one of those?
    I normally use a weed burner or small torch depending on the kind of fire I want, but I have used heat guns in the past, including this cheap gun, and it take a couple minutes at most.  The heat gets it started and the fan accelerates the fire.

Heat guns range in price, some are digitally regulated.  The only thing that matters is the temperature of the air and they all get well above 600F, the minimum needed to start lump.  In other words, the cheap ones work as well as the expensive units.

edited July 2021
    Options
    I gotta get a weed burner and 20# tanks. I’ve burned enough holes in shirts and socks using the short torches.
  • SonVolt
    Options
    Slap a dog cone on the end of your torch. Or make your dog hold the torch in its teeth then hold the dog over the coals. Problem solved. 

• nolaegghead
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Slap a dog cone on the end of your torch. Or make your dog hold the torch in its teeth then hold the dog over the coals. Problem solved. 

Yeah, no.  That plastic will melt all over the dog's face.

edited July 2021
    Options

I actually have the filler adapter but I haven't had a chance to use it. 

+1
    edit: I learned from another video to freeze the little cylinder first, to be honest not why/if that helps. Didn't know about playing with the valve though.
    edit2: I'm guessing freezing contracts what's in the cylinder and makes room for fresh propane? Also, since I don't refill until the cylinder is fully depleted, there's probably no need to mess with the valve.

canuckland
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options

Good point about a leaky cylinder!
  • scdaf
    scdaf Posts: 176
    Options
    The Harbor Freight heat gun frequently goes on sale for $9.99.  My old Matco gun (MUCH more expensive) had a short metal exhaust and eventually melted.  The HF gun has a snout at least twice as long and seems idiot proof.