Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

King Salmon

Clay Q
Clay Q Posts: 4,486
I picked up FRESH King salmon, it is the best so far.  Raging River Rub with a mop of maple syrup and butter.

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Nice post stranger!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    I have a profound disgust for the taste of salmon (and most fish).  However, when looking at it, my head wants to like the taste.  Every few years I try but unfortunately it just gets worst with time.   Yours looks great! 👏 

edited June 2021
    good to see on here again Clay_Q!
    The salmon looks delicious
    Have you been wood crafting anything lately?
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Glad you are here.  Your recipes are legend and that salmon looks to be right there with them.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Lots of echos Clay! Welcome back, buddy! I too love that salmon fixed that same way! But yours was fresh…mine probably caught and frozen in 2018 LOL!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Clay Q
    Hi buddy!  Thanks RRP!  Good to be back.  My fish monger sells fresh New Zealand salmon and although it is up in price I think worth the extra bucks for very tender, great tasting King salmon.  Dizzy Pig gets a thumbs up with Raging River rub.  Today I cooked fresh Pacific Grouper for lunch, another favorite.  I have a lot of catching up to do here but, I have never been more busy and the day is not long enough.
  • RRP
    Funny you mention DP Raging River as that is our favorite and it just so happens 3 more bottles of it arrived Friday! VIVA Dizzy Pig!

What furniture projects have you created over the past few years since you have been MIA? BTW for those who don’t know - ClayQ is one talented, master woodworker!
  • Clay Q
    Howdy lousubcap  Thank you!  
  • Clay Q
    RRP, Not much.  Updating home floors, doors and trim.  Next is new kitchen cabinets.  I'm getting back to my paintings and re-connecting with artist friends.  I'm a BGE Pitmaster at The BBQ Club of the Fox Valley.  Two to three days a week we are busy with Granddaughter.  After that I mostly hang out around the eggs, cooking everything you can shake a stick at.  Prime picanha is on the menu.  Which reminds me....I gotta make balsamic beef marinade.   
  • RRP
    edited June 2021
    Clay Q said:
    RRP, Not much.  Updating home floors, doors and trim.  Next is new kitchen cabinets.  I'm getting back to my paintings and re-connecting with artist friends.  I'm a BGE Pitmaster at The BBQ Club of the Fox Valley.  Two to three days a week we are busy with Granddaughter.  After that I mostly hang out around the eggs, cooking everything you can shake a stick at.  Prime picanha is on the menu.  Which reminds me....I gotta make balsamic beef marinade.   
    You are still the most talented and artistic jarhead I ever met!  (Hope that didn’t p*ss you off! I had a GREAT Marine friend who I loved like the brother I never had…he’s gone now, but memories are still solid gold!)
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,894
    edited June 2021
    Clay Q - your wooden mini table is a work of art. Really like the knock-down capability for travel.

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1004926/my-mini-table-hand-crafted/p1

Any thoughts of a MiniMax version? Glad to see you on this forum, again.

Edit - about that salmon - wow. Nothing beats fresh salmon, especially cooked on the egg. Had some that  Egret (John Hall) made at the Silver Springs Florida Eggfest. He caught it in Alaska the day before. What a treat.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • Clay Q
    SamIam2, Thank you for your kind words.  Wow, there is a table from the past.  Fun project.  Thanks for posting.  Many good memories with egghead friends.  I met Egret for the first time at Sunshine Eggfest, I'll never forget it.  He is my hero.  So is Flpoolman.  We had fun at the 'after eggfest party'.  That's where I fell in love with eeni meeni as she was flipping Korean beef ribs into flames of hot fire.  Eggheads are the best.   
  • SamIAm2
    Dug around and found a photo of Molly Shark at the Silver Springs Florida Eggfest. Need to find the rest of those photos in an archive somewhere. CelticWolf, Ken Stone (BlueSmoke - RIP), Tonia Lambert (QBabe) - the host with husband were some of the folks I remember cooking there. One of the first Eggfests we attended. Great memories.

Flpoolman from the 2018 Florida Eggfest 

Found egret's Grilled Tereyaki Salmon recipe if you are interested.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
  • Clay Q
    Flpoolman helped me set up at Sunshine Eggfest.  Yes, I would like egret's salmon recipe, Thanks!  I joined the party of original eggfest regulars most recently in Texas 2020 Ol' Geezer Eggfest organized by Lawn Ranger.  Egret and Molly Shark and Celtic Wolf and Chubby and Spring Chicken and Wise One and many other famous Eggheads back together again. 
  • Hi, Clay! So nice that you are back!

Your salmon looks awesome. Raging river is great on salmon.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • SamIAm2
    That must have been a great time. 
    Clay_Q - I sent you a PM.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I feel like I entered a time warp…Beautiful salmon cook and great to see back!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Clay Q
    Hi Florida Grillin Girl, Hugs!
  • Clay Q
    Howdy Photo Egg!  Time warp indeed...Thanks buddy!
  • Clay Q
    SamIam2, Thanks much buddy.  Egret is famous for his teriyaki salmon and chocolate brownies and grape soda, hehehe.  Printed out recipe and will use for next salmon cook.  Rock and Roll!  
  • SamIAm2
    Remember, pictures or it didn't happen.

Ubi panis, ibi patria.
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Looking good Clay Q - I still have visions of those Rueben's at Frozen Fest - although I have tried, nothing has come close. Good to see the old gang coming back around!! 

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Photo Egg
    I keep coming back to look at the Salmon photo!
    Mouthwatering!!!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Looking good Clay Q - I still have visions of those Rueben's at Frozen Fest - although I have tried, nothing has come close. Good to see the old gang coming back around!! 
    I have never eaten so well, drank so much and slept so little...Frozen Fest!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Clay Q
      Thanks Brisket_Fanatic!  Good to be back.  Reuben's are party food I make on occasion year round.
  • Clay Q
    Photo Egg said:
    Cookin at -27 degrees builds an appetite at Frozen Fest.  Lucky I had ant-freeze in my blood.  
  • Photo Egg
    Clay Q said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Cookin at -27 degrees builds an appetite at Frozen Fest.  Lucky I had ant-freeze in my blood.  
    That was the coldest temps I have every voluntarily stood outside. Had to switch to a strong rum and Coke because a beer would freeze in just a couple minutes standing outside cooking. Ha Ha
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Clay Q said:
    SamIam2, Thanks much buddy.  Egret is famous for his teriyaki salmon and chocolate brownies and grape soda, hehehe.  Printed out recipe and will use for next salmon cook.  Rock and Roll!  
    Even the time Egret burnt his brownies (I forget which Eggfest it was) and then sneakily put on CWM table!  =)
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap