Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

lighting charcoal

Options
2»

Comments

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    If you have an outlet nearby…. My BGE electric starter is going strong 5 + years and counting. 
    Seattle, WA
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    Paper towel with bacon fat buried in the center as close to the fire grate as I can get.  It works well enough, and is free.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    njl said:
    Paper towel with bacon fat buried in the center as close to the fire grate as I can get.  It works well enough, and is free.
    LOL - bacon fat is too precious to me to waste that way! I save every drop of bacon fat to use in my chili and to sauté onions.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Orsi said:
    Thanks everyone for the input.  Guess I need to be a little more patient.  Will try the paper towel with vegetable oil or maybe bury the electric coil a little deeper.  I do remove the daisy when first starting the charcoal.  
    I roll up paper towels, tie a knot in the middle to hold them together and stuff them in a jam jar. Pour on some oil and it spreads evenly over time. 20 or so lighters for a few pence and they work really well.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I take old cotton t-shirts and soak in a 1:1 mixture of hydrochloric and sulfuric acid, then do some various rinse procedures 

What am I making?
    Options
    Tie-dye?  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    Options
    A visit from one of the "Three Letter Agencies"!   🙂
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    dbCooper said:
    Depending on use, quite possibly.  Gun cotton.
    Options
    RRP said:
    njl said:
    LOL - bacon fat is too precious to me to waste that way! I save every drop of bacon fat to use in my chili and to sauté onions.
    I'm not wasting it.  Every time I cook bacon, when it's done, it goes on a plate lined with a paper towel.  Those paper towels get folded in half twice and stored in a ziplock bag in the fridge.  Those are my egg lighting stash.  I save my bacon fat too and cook with it.
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    edited June 2021
    Options

dbCooper said:

Taking that concept to an extreme, I recall a web video from probably 20 or more years ago.  A college professor demonstrated liquid oxygen properties to students by using LOX to start charcoal grills.  I think a good time was had by all.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    Options
    Weed torch from Harbor Freight. I hate lighting the egg any other way. Just my opinion.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • nolaegghead
    edited June 2021
    Options
    dbCooper said:

dbCooper said:

Taking that concept to an extreme, I recall a web video from probably 20 or more years ago.  A college professor demonstrated liquid oxygen properties to students by using LOX to start charcoal grills.  I think a good time was had by all.
    I started a grill using pure oxygen.  Melted a hole in it (piece of crap metal grill).  That's back in my college days.  I'm way less dummer dumber now
    Options
    I take old cotton t-shirts and soak in a 1:1 mixture of hydrochloric and sulfuric acid, then do some various rinse procedures 

What am I making?
    Nitroglycerin? Meth?
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Nitrocellulos aka gun cotton 
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Tablesoon of bacon fat in a paper towel times three

Put under chimney, light. Close lid. Return 10 mis later. Dump chimney. Done. 
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Air
    Options
    I use a regular propane torch applied to four or five spots until they're glowing good and red. Then I shut the lid, open the air vent all the way, and remove the daisy wheel so the Egg breathes easy. In 10 minutes it's burning hot. At that point I stir the coals a bit, add the plate setter and grate, close the Egg and let it settle for another 10 minutes or so to get to my desired temp. With a fresh load of lump I'll often let it go a bit longer. It's an effective process. Remember that it's not a race.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    I have been using the Looftlighter for years. When it bit the dust the good folks at Looftlighter sent me a new one at no charge.
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    I need to get a weed burner. I feel like I'm missing out on that add a bit more lighter fuel from my Weber kettle days.  We all need some excitement.
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    I like to get a bon fire ripping hot, let it burn down a few hours until I have a nice bed coals, then pluck one out (careful, use a pair of tongs) to light a paper towel soaked in bacon fat, which is immediately tossed under a chimney starter until the charcoal (briquettes only) is blazing hot enough to ignite my propane torch, which makes quick work of a single BGE branded starter cube placed directly in the center of my lump. Works every time. 
    Old school. I like the way you roll.
    Michiana, South of the border.