Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New XL Fire Ring

Is it normal now where the fire ring only has 2 notches across from each other?
aka marysvilleksegghead
Lrg 2008
mini 2009
XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
Henny Youngman:
I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Turn it over maybe?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    nope, underside has no notches  :s
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Did you buy that online or from a non-authorized source?  I read somewhere that they are buffaloing people into buying counterfeit eggs.

I haven't seen that, yet.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • loco_engr
    Langner91 said:
    Did you buy that online or from a non-authorized source?  I read somewhere that they are buffaloing people into buying counterfeit eggs.

Nope, from an authorized dealer . . . Ace Hardware
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    I just looked at the website.  They show the number one EGGcessory for the XL is the ConvEGGtor.  Sure looks like it needs three spots.

Clinton, Iowa
  • The notches to which you are referring should be on the underside of the fire ring.  I believe they are there as simple hand holds.  The top of the ring on new XLs is smooth.  No notches.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • loco_engr
    The notches to which you are referring should be on the underside of the fire ring.  I believe they are there as simple hand holds.  The top of the ring on new XLs is smooth.  No notches.  
    Langner91 said:

Nope, from an authorized dealer . . . Ace Hardware

@4TheGrillOfIt

there are only 2 notches on 1 side of the fire ring and a smooth under side 
    wonder what the 2 notches are for . . . 
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    You could always look at the display XL in the store.
    But I think @4TheGrillOfIt nailed it. Smooth side up. 2 notches on bottom side are to aid in lifting out of Egg. But it would be great if BGE would post some of these changes on the forum or at least jump in and help with questions.
    Maybe a call to Tom at CGS as well.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Langner91 said:
    I just looked at the website.  They show the number one EGGcessory for the XL is the ConvEGGtor.  Sure looks like it needs three spots.

Would be great if the BGE site was always up to date.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas