Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Plate Ribs - Do you trim off the fat cap or leave it on?

Options
dstearn
dstearn Posts: 1,702
I have smoked Beef Plate Ribs a few times already, but I have always let the fat cap on.
Is it better to trim off the fat cap to create better bark or should I just leave the fat cap on?
Normally I just used S&P but I may try Meat Church Holy Cow seasoning this time.

Comments

• CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    Options
    I usually leave it unless there are some unusually thick or hard spots of fat. I spend my (minimal) trimming time getting the fat/membrane off the underside. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    If you are a big fan of the bark then absolutely trim the fat. The rub doesn’t really adhere to the fat and it won’t create bark. If you prefer the mix of bark and some mostly rendered fat, then leave it alone. Either way, you are on the precipice of great eats. Enjoy! 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    As above, I don't trim the cap but do remove any (and it is minimal) hard fat.  I find removing the membrane to be easier on beef ribs (plate or back) than their pork cousins.  Great eats await.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    I will if it's got a bit too much fat, but normally no.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    Options
    Typically I do not, but my last rack I did.  They were atypical for me being Prime grade and I wanted the extra bark.  Membrane always gets removed for any ribs I cook, the character of those that do not may be questionable, possibly slackers in other areas of life too.   🙂
    Couple pics of that rack trimmed and seasoned...

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • SteveV
    SteveV Posts: 4
    Options
    dbCooper said:
    Typically I do not, but my last rack I did.  They were atypical for me being Prime grade and I wanted the extra bark.  Membrane always gets removed for any ribs I cook, the character of those that do not may be questionable, possibly slackers in other areas of life too.   🙂

What kind of grate is that the ribs are sitting on?
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    SteveV said:
    dbCooper said:

https://ceramicgrillstore.com/products/large-adjustable-rig-r-and-b-combo-bge

Great aftermarket accessories from ceramic grill store. I've got one also. There is a whole new language associated.  Spider, woo, etc.  Good stuff. 
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Options
    SteveV said:
    dbCooper said:

https://ceramicgrillstore.com/products/large-adjustable-rig-r-and-b-combo-bge

Great aftermarket accessories from ceramic grill store. I've got one also. There is a whole new language associated.  Spider, woo, etc.  Good stuff. 

Thanks!