Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large egg lid - chip on exterior

Options
mamacooks
mamacooks Posts: 9
edited May 2021 in EggHead Forum
Problem #1 - Took the cover off today for first time in several months and there is a dime-sized chip off the green finish on the back of the lid. (See pic)  After some research, I'm assuming this is something still covered by warranty.  I've had my Lg BGE for 8 or 9 years.... Need to go dig out paperwork.  Can I continue to cook on the egg?

Problem #2 - I've never replaced or removed the bands although periodically check tightness of bolts.  My lid has a marked underbite at this time and I need to adjust the fit.  YouTube has several videos showing this but I've found none showing the same type of band I have.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?  TIA!

Comments

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    I think they make touch up paint for your chip.  That isn't a problem to continue to cook on it.

Those bands are tough to adjust.  Best thing to do is take the springs off, and loosen the bands enough to move the dome.  Then, make sure you get the gap between bands consistent and even all the way around.  Finally put the springs back on.

The new bands are really nice and keep the dome aligned much better.  You might want to consider replacing yours with them.

Good luck!  Enjoy that egg!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    For the chip, a little touch up paint will fix it right up.
    Your dealer should be able to get it for you. Or just match it close with an Auto touch up paint.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,434
    Options
    I feel that it would be replaced under warranty if you went that route.  My large is 11 years old.  I'm replacing the base because of a crack.  I plan on new bands too.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • mamacooks
    mamacooks Posts: 9
    Options
    Thanks for above help!  I bought new gasket last fall so will be changing this weekend with hub's help - we'll also try adjusting the old bands at that time.  The springs on old bands are like rocks - so it could be time for new bands. 
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    I bought BGE touchup paint. It was expensive and didn't match.  I would just get a small thing of green enamel from the hobby/craft shop.
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Your springs look good in the photo.  What do you mean "like rocks"?

If you want to remove them, my most helpful advice is to place pennies between the coils when the lid is closed, and then raise the lid slowly and carefully.  The spring tension will be off, so the lid will be heavy.  Then, you can remove the springs.  Reverse to reinstall, remembering that the dome is VERY heavy without any spring assist.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Zip ties work great to keep springs or hinges compressed when you need that.  Never needed to on an egg before, tho.