Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby Backs. 3-2-1.

Options
DonWW
DonWW Posts: 424
edited May 2021 in EggHead Forum
The call went out for ribs, and I was happy to oblige. 3-2-1 method.

Rubbed and ready to go.  I opted for Dizzy Pig All Purpose Rub. 

Ribs after 1 hour.  There's good action, but it's just getting started.  The rack in the rear is for my grandsons who are a little picky.  Hence, no rub or sauce.  I like to accommodate my guests.  I spritz ribs with a 50-50 mixture of apple juice and apple cider vinegar. 

After 3 hours.  There is a beautiful mahogany color.  Time to pull.  I will wrap them on a small bed of butter and brown sugar.  Then back on for 2 more hours.  Still at 225. 

Ribs are back on after the 2 hour braise.  I coated with Stubb's BBQ sauce.  The rack in front has been cut in two so I can ID it.  It had brown sugar, but no butter for my DIL who is nursing a child who is dairy intolerant.  Three different recipes.  

After the final hour.  The sauce has tacked up nicely as expected.    

I was half way through eating when I realized I didn't have a "money" shot.  As an FYI, I used Bourbon Barrel wood chunks.   A great flavor.  Overall, very happy with the outcome.  

A great way to spend an afternoon on this Memorial Weekend.  God bless our military, especially those who have sacrificed all for our freedom. 

XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.

Comments

• jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Great write up. Awesome turn out  Noting, am I seeing correctly.  In Direct heat over a plate setter?  No wrap during 2nd hour?  Sauced for whole 3rd hour? Any temp change for 3rd hour?  If that's all visually accurate.  Even better awesome job.   Thanks for sharing.  Love the photos.  Almost smell it.
    Columbus, Ohio
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Those look great!  Pork ribs are my Kryptonite.  Looks like you nailed them!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    Options
    Jdmeyers, so it's 3 hours indirect, 2 hours wrapped, then 1 last hour unwrapped.  Sauce is added on the last hour only.  
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • jdMyers
    Options
    Ok.  That's how I do it.  But thought you pulled off a  super cook 
    Columbus, Ohio
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    no offense meant to anyone, but today I egged a rack of bb at 330 for 2 hrs 20 min. They were probably my best EVER!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • jdMyers
    Options
    Nice.  Take any photos
    Columbus, Ohio
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,521
    Options
    I do the 3-2-1-0.5 method ... It's 3-2-1 less 0.5h on each stage, at 250F indirect.

Works perfect for me, every time. 

I have found some 3-2-1 methods lead to dry ribs ... I want juicy and falling off the bone. 3-2-1-0.5 pretty much never get dry ribs and they are tender as can be.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!