Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dome dirty?

Options
Greetings,
In my last 2 cooks, hamburgers & whole pork loin, the top of the meat develops a dark appearance. The bottom does not. Do I need to burn the remaining lump to clean it out? Could it be from residue on underside of the dome? I just looked, and the dome has residue that easily flakes off. Most of my cooks are lower temperature...under 300 degrees for smoking.
Suggestions? Best cleaning method of the dome?
Thank you for looking.
Bob

Answers

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Once in a while, after a cook, you may wish to get the egg up to 500-600 degrees for 45 minutes.  Once cool, use a foil ball to dislodge any remaining stalactites.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,521
    Options
    raharness said:
    Greetings,
    In my last 2 cooks, hamburgers & whole pork loin, the top of the meat develops a dark appearance. The bottom does not. Do I need to burn the remaining lump to clean it out? Could it be from residue on underside of the dome? I just looked, and the dome has residue that easily flakes off. Most of my cooks are lower temperature...under 300 degrees for smoking.
    Suggestions? Best cleaning method of the dome?
    Thank you for looking.
    Bob
    Are you cooking direct or indirect?
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • DainW
    DainW Posts: 159
    Options
    I’ve got this same issue actually, well I don’t have that stuff flaking off on my food anyway, but there’s enough of it that it could become a concern.