Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Grate UPGRADE

Options
To make grilling on the egg easier. I added 4 ea (4" Lag bolts) to the bottom of a cast iron grate. I also made some handles so removing a hot grate is easy and safe. Hope this helps.

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Cool, let us know how it works out.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Just keep in mind those handles will be "branding iron" hot!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Would a clean burn 'cause of the galvanized bolts be needed?

aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Pretty neat mods.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    loco_engr said:

Many folks would say yes. I wouldn't burn them off in the Egg. I'd be inclined to start a pile of lump in a fire pit or the like and put the loose bolts/nuts in that hot pile and walk away so you don't inhale the fumes.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    Cool project, and Welcome!  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Harley5
    Harley5 Posts: 2
    Options
    The reason for the large handles is so you can grab them with heavy gloves on. I've had these stainless bolts in place for about 4 years and there are no issues. 
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    loco_engr said:

Personally I would ditch the galvanized and spend a little extra coin on SS hardware. Zinc oxide fumes are nothing to play around with. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    CTMike said:
    loco_engr said:

Personally I would ditch the galvanized and spend a little extra coin on SS hardware. Zinc oxide fumes are nothing to play around with. 

They burn off quite readily. I'm guessing a small pile of flaming charcoal is probably cheaper than getting stainless replacements.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk