Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork belly burnt ends question

Options
I want to make pork burnt ends to take over to make parents house this weekend and I'm trying figure out the best cooking and traveling method.

Travel time isn't long, about 20 minutes. So I'm thinking of doing the main smoke (~3hrs) then dumping to aluminum foil pan and heading out. Then at my destination, sauce and in the oven for an hour.

Thoughts?

Comments

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Interesting Q . . . my newly found meat locker sells skinned uncured bellies and I'm waiting for the Hi Mountain curing kit.
    I'm curious as the ideal IT should the burnt ends should be consider done?
    WAG . . . I wouldn't think the oven temp shouldn't be too high 250 maybe
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Just cook 'em up as suggested below and they will hold for the transport time and beyond.  FWIW-
    Here's the base-line recipe many of us sue:
    http://howtobbqright.com/?s=pork+belly+burnt+ends 
    And here's a link to a thread with a slight modification:
    Pork Belly Burnt Ends-Malcom Reed with @Sea2Ski's adaptation  
    You are in for a real treat.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • onpoint456
    onpoint456 Posts: 204
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I've done then a few times before and they are a treat.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Ahh. Then you know they travel well.   I would get them all the way done, transport and heat up only when/if necessary.  If you do a full batch, I would be surprised if you needed to. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    I have had a Duroc pork belly sitting in the freezer for several weeks.  I decided it was to be my Sunday meal.  

I followed Malcolm Reed's recipe, with the following changes.
    • I used Dizzy Dust and John Henry's Pecan rub
    • I used Apple wood for smoke.
    • I used Tabasco jelly instead of apple jelly.
    OMG, HOME RUN!

They were sticky, sweet, spicy, and just melted in my mouth.

I fried a few potatoes in bacon grease to go along with the pork candy. I have been dieting for several months, so this was my cheat day.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    Options
    Just did those tonight and finally made the sauce this time too.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    @Langner91 - great cook and audible with the Tabasco.  
    Curious as to the spirit in the glass?
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Langner91
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @Langner91 - great cook and audible with the Tabasco.  
    Curious as to the spirit in the glass?
    Just my normal, go to.  Crown Royal.  It went down too easy last night.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,521
    Options
    Powak said:
    Just did those tonight and finally made the sauce this time too.
    How did you get the pan to stick to the lid like that? It's ingenious, indirect smoke collector ...
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,521
    Options
    Joking aside, I have to do burnt ends as a cook for the first time in my life. Is this difficult?

Do you cut up the pieces before the smoke, or smoke a bigger piece of meat, then cut them up for the final stage when you sauce them up?

Also, when you guys say brining them before the cook, are you talking about dry brining (seasoning with salt) to dry up the skin to get it more crisp, or a wet brine?
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • onpoint456
    onpoint456 Posts: 204
    Options
    Joking aside, I have to do burnt ends as a cook for the first time in my life. Is this difficult?

Do you cut up the pieces before the smoke, or smoke a bigger piece of meat, then cut them up for the final stage when you sauce them up?

Also, when you guys say brining them before the cook, are you talking about dry brining (seasoning with salt) to dry up the skin to get it more crisp, or a wet brine?
    I have never wet brined mine, only dry. I usually buy pre sliced pork belly from Costco and cube it raw, then smoke.
  • Langner91
    Options
    I have done it twice. The first time, I rubbed it (not really dry brined) and put it on the grill.  I smoked it and let it render to about 200°F IT.  Then, I cubed it up and sauced smaller servings.  It was good that way. I think it held on to more of the fat.  

This time, I cubed it raw, tossed it in rub, and followed Malcolm's method.  These were far more sticky and a lot more fat came out of them. 

Honestly, give his video a watch.  It is well-done and surprising simple.  I am not sure you could screw this up, unless you fell asleep or your egg completely ran away on temp.  I was completely roasted on Sunday when I did mine, and even through the fog, they were delicious and had the neighbors asking what was for supper.

BTW, I can't find Apple Jelly to save my life.  Anything to make that sticky glaze will work.  Hell, Grape Smuckers would work.  You can't screw it up.
    Clinton, Iowa