Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cornell chicken temps

Options
Powak
Powak Posts: 1,391
Looking to do a Cornell chicken later in the week. I’m planning on following the original recipe for ingredients and will cook it spatchcock, but what temps should I run at on on the egg for good crisp skin? And should I go direct or indirect? I’ve got roughly a 5lb Perdue broiler bird.

Comments

• TrippleRipple
    TrippleRipple Posts: 100
    edited May 2021
    Options
    I've made Dr. Baker's original recipe on my egg. I did it at 400, raised direct. Skin down for about half an hour and then flipped it and put it on a the higher rack (I use a PSWOO from CGS) Cooked to an IT of 170. The skin was crisp. I hope this helps!
    Formerly @dharley prior to some password bs.

LBGE, 36" Blackstone, bad liver & a broken heart

Three Rivers, MI
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Looks like you got killer results here. I’d just mimic temp and height from that cook

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1221690/cornell-chicken

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    Options
    I've made Dr. Baker's original recipe on my egg. I did it at 400, raised direct. Skin down for about half an hour and then flipped it and put it on a the higher rack (I use a PSWOO from CGS) Cooked to an IT of 170. The skin was crisp. I hope this helps!
    Man that’s perfect. I’ve got a PSWOO2 with D grate extender. That can be done.