Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Clean Smoke Experiment #3

Options
Botch
Botch Posts: 15,471
I've been trying different methods of obtaining "clean" smoke, by having it filter thru hot lump before rising up to the meat (an issue with "restricted oxygen" temp control systems, as the Egg uses).  
At first I just tried "burying" the smoking wood in the lump, so the lump would burn down to it.  This didn't work for me; apparently the combustion temp of raw wood is much lower than that of lump, and the smokewood would be consumed before the Egg had even reached temp.
Next, because I use a KAB, I got the idea to drop the smokewood into the "throat" of the firebowl, below the fire grate/KAB.  That was as low into the Egg the smokewood could go, plus I figured the incoming, cool air would keep the smokewood from igniting too soon.  No such luck, my smokewood burned up, again, before the Egg was up to temp.  This surprised me.  

I needed to figure out a way to add the smokewood, at the bottom, after the Egg was up to temp and the meat was going on.  Experiment #3:

I formed a trough out of heavy-duty aluminum foil, sized to fit within the intake opening, and just small enough to allow my Ash Tool to push smokewood chips into the bottom of the bowl, after the Egg was up to temp.
Worked like a charm; the wood started smoking right away, and the smoke had to go thru the entire stack of lump before hitting the meat.  Did it taste noticeably different?  I shouldn't have tried this with a brand-new (to me) recipe, so I'm not really sure; Egg was slightly too hot and the salmon got a tougher surface than I wanted.
I will be making a more-permanent trough out of sheetmetal, sized so it'll also fit into my Small, and add "depth markers" so that whichever Egg I use, the chips are deposited to the exact center of the bowl (OCD detail).  And keep playing.   :)  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

Comments

• dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    The real challenge for me is to get clean smoke and low temps (250-270F) without wasting too much time, lump, and smoking wood. I notice that if I crank up the temps above 300F I can get clean smoke pretty quickly and easily.

Harry Soo has a video on this:

https://youtu.be/X8Xwcj5feDg?t=130
    Mountain View, CA
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    Some folks have used a "smoke pot" in their kamados. Basically a very small dutch oven-y kind of vessel that you drill a few holes in and build your lump pile on top of. If memory serves there was a good thread over on the kamadoguru site from a few years ago you might want to track down.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk