Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HOA is thinking about a BBQ contest

loco_engr
loco_engr Posts: 5,759
IMHO it should be more of a backyard type of a contest with the category's being and open for further suggestions:
appetizers 
side dish
main dish
desserts

what say you?
TY
aka marysvilleksegghead
Lrg 2008
mini 2009
XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
Henny Youngman:
I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Who would be judging the competition? 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    If it's the first one I'd maybe keep it simple. I'd go with one or two categories. You don't want people to get overwhelmed by it. I think you'll have a better chance of people joining/participating starting out with something basic. You can always expand down the road. Just my two cents....
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    loco_engr said:
    IMHO it should be more of a backyard type of a contest with the category's being and open for further suggestions:
    appetizers 
    side dish
    main dish
    desserts

what say you?
    TY
    Sounds like you have moved into a friendly new neighborhood!

Mind if I share some personal experiences? 

WHY make this ANY kind of competition? 

I mean who can judge why “my appetizer”

is better than your “side dish”

or better than your “main dish”

or better than your “dessert” ???

there’s no reason to p*ss off ANYBODY!!!

just enjoy meeting new people!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    Will there be bass boats? 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    Seriously though.  If I were in an HOA..... which I'm not.... and I were in a competition... which I've never been in. . . I would like the option to compete in only one category. How big is the HOA? How many real potential Bbqers are there? Either way please share details and pics.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • loco_engr
    WeberWho said:
    Who would be judging the competition? 
    not known at this time
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • loco_engr
    @kl8ton
    Not sure of the total size of the number of house's but w.a.g. around 100

@RRP

I would think with whatever categories they decide on should be judged separately

aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Our hood does a chili cook off. If you want a good turnout make it for everyone. They get a bounce house with slide and cotton candy machine/pop corn. Like others said keep it simple for the cook nobody really cares who wins. 
  • loco_engr
    Lit said:
    Our hood does a chili cook off. If you want a good turnout make it for everyone. They get a bounce house with slide and cotton candy machine/pop corn. Like others said keep it simple for the cook nobody really cares who wins. 
    I'm not on the HOA board but good suggestions
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
  • RRP
    Guess I just don’t get the idea of bragging rights amongst a neighborhood group. In fact I have at least 4 or 5 terrific recipes received from shared neighbors. Not sure if the cooks were considered contests that people would have been so open. In fact in at least 2 cases the sharing folks came back the next year with different terrific items!
  • loco_engr
    105 houses in HOA
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
  • loco_engr
    RRP said:
    Guess I just don’t get the idea of bragging rights amongst a neighborhood group. In fact I have at least 4 or 5 terrific recipes received from shared neighbors. Not sure if the cooks were considered contests that people would have been so open. In fact in at least 2 cases the sharing folks came back the next year with different terrific items!
    RRP said:
    Ron, plz email me the  "In fact I have at least 4 or 5 terrific recipes received from shared neighbors"  Daughter & I with our BGE's want win this this!

aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Competitions are fun. It's been several years, but I used to hold a chilli cook off. It was always fun winning my own competition.  One year a white chilli chicken won, and thereafter that soup recipe was banned.

I suggest only a few meat categories and let those that don't want to enter bring sides.
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    I will add, best to not do prizes, so money doesn't screw things up. A fun trophy that gets passed on yearly is always fun.
  • RiverBBQ
    RiverBBQ Posts: 191
    Perfect for an egg, you can cook all of these on one unit. Me being me I would likely sand bag until the main course and blow them away… you have an unfair advantage, use it.
    You can’t get to Loganville, Ga from anywhere. You have to start somewhere else
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    If you make it a competition, don't be surprised when the "competition" brings out the worst in people.  Someone will figure it is ok to get his co-worker to bring his offset over and do a whole hog along with a couple racks of ribs, while the others in the HOA are trying the 321 method on their Weber kettles filled with Kingsford briquettes.

People get ugly over competition.  I would agree with the others and make this a friendly gathering.

I recall the chili cook off that I was part of a few years back.  There are still neighbors not speaking to one-another over whether chili has beans.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • RRP
    Langner91 said:
    If you make it a competition, don't be surprised when the "competition" brings out the worst in people.  Someone will figure it is ok to get his co-worker to bring his offset over and do a whole hog along with a couple racks of ribs, while the others in the HOA are trying the 321 method on their Weber kettles filled with Kingsford briquettes.

People get ugly over competition.  I would agree with the others and make this a friendly gathering.

In the same vein it took me 2 years to convince my BGE dealer that his Eggfests should be Funfests NOT Contests!
  • SmokeGirl
    SmokeGirl Posts: 22
    You’re lucky! I wish my HOA did a cook off or contest! My neighbor has a Large I’ve never seen him use it. 
    Large BGE 2017,  a Genesis Webber gasser, and dreaming of a MiniMax 

Central Ohio and PTC, Ga
  • @loco_engr our subdivision has done a BBQ Kings competition each year on Labor Day.  There are 3 categories ribs, entree and sides.  It is a fun event and the competitors feed the whole community.  There are first, second and third place certificates with prizes.  First place is your choice of golf club from the pro shop, dinners for second and third.  There is also a trophy with a plaque that gets displayed in the clubhouse and each year’s rib winner is the champion.  Lots of fun and camaraderie in the community.  Several folks here are right some big beast cookers show up but I have held my own 2 years in a row with my eggs.  

Southeast Louisiana
    3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle 
  • loco_engr
    @Money_Hillbilly
    I like the idea of having some local business's chip in a little something to sponsor the contest.
    I am not on the HOA board but will pass this on to them.
    TY for posting this
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,944
    Clearly this is a trap.  The HOA is about to change the rules on outdoor cooking devices. This is a conventional way to identify all the hardcore users so they can be delt with immediately.  I recommend staying far away.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • loco_engr
    Clearly this is a trap.  The HOA is about to change the rules on outdoor cooking devices. This is a conventional way to identify all the hardcore users so they can be delt with immediately.  I recommend staying far away.
    WTH?
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited May 2021
    loco_engr said:
    WTH?
    What better way to get BBQ users to self identify so the HOA knows where to go first when they implement their "no charcoal" grills rule.  Seen it happen here in AZ.  Just warning you to be vewy vewy quiet.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • RRP
    loco_engr said:
    WTH?
    What better way to get BBQ users to self identify so the HOA knows where to go first when they implement their "no charcoal" grills rule.  Seen it happen here in AZ.  Just warning you to be vewy vewy quiet.
    Actually your warning is NOT tongue in cheek in too many (and growing) communities in seemingly also weird ways. Just last summer some “lady” here started a drive to ban the use of gas powered lawn mowers, blowers, trimmers etc. Her complaint was NOT based on gasoline used, nor what time they were being used, nor safety issues...that bimbo  was just plain WEIRD as she drives  a HUGE Land Rover SUV that could pull a school bus!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    RRP said:
    ...Just last summer some “lady” here started a drive to ban the use of gas powered lawn mowers, blowers, trimmers etc. Her complaint was NOT based on gasoline used, nor what time they were being used, nor safety issues...that bimbo  was just plain WEIRD as she drives  a HUGE Land Rover SUV that could pull a school bus!
    An **** (like me) would've responded with another drive, oh yes I would!  :D  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432

^^^ rhymes with Glass Pole.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Ozzie_Isaac
    RRP said:
    loco_engr said:
    WTH?
    Actually your warning is NOT tongue in cheek in too many (and growing) communities in seemingly also weird ways. Just last summer some “lady” here started a drive to ban the use of gas powered lawn mowers, blowers, trimmers etc. Her complaint was NOT based on gasoline used, nor what time they were being used, nor safety issues...that bimbo  was just plain WEIRD as she drives  a HUGE Land Rover SUV that could pull a school bus!
    There a number of master planned community around me that outlaw non-gas outdoor cooking.  One has to be careful.  I never believed it till I learned first hand last year.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    edited December 2022
    HOA went haywire, happened in my neck of the woods yesterday.
    https://www.blogto.com/city/2022/12/vaughan-shooting-suspect-had-been-seeking-2-million-condo-board-members/

The guy posted this a day earlier, I wonder if Jesus welcomed him with open arms.

edit: 

canuckland
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Yikes!  That is no bueno.  The article wasn't clear on motives besides generally complainerry.  Wonder what lead to that drastic action.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    edited December 2022
    Yikes!  That is no bueno.  The article wasn't clear on motives besides generally complainerry.  Wonder what lead to that drastic action.
    A paragraph from the blogto linked article I posted... 

Villi goes on to explain that he is being physically harmed by electromagnetic waves emanating from an electrical room beneath his unit, as he argued when attempting to sue several members of his condominium board for a collective $8.1 million in December of 2020.

canuckland