Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

griddle for outdoor kitchen feedback/options

Options
JClark
JClark Posts: 23
edited April 2021 in EGG Table Forum
After two seasons of considering out how to best expand our outdoor living space to include a grilling area, we've landed on a layout we feel will meet how we like to use the space (thanks to folks here that have provided input!).  One new item we are planning in the space is a dedicated griddle.

We have a 48" base cabinet space in a counter run going into a 45 degree angle of the same counter.  Our current thought is to use a 36" base cabinet for a built in griddle and the adjacent 12-15 inch front and open space in the 45 degree angle for the LP tank.  We'll need to work with the countertop guys to support countertop over the corner area for continuous countertop - but figure that's pretty good use of what would otherwise be dead space.

Conceptual layout -

But - now we are reviewing griddles and are really at a loss as the best option.

• Free standing portable option like the Blackstone or Sam's MM (in which case, the 36" base cabinet wouldn't be part of the design)
  • True "outdoor" built in griddle like a LeGriddle, Blaze, etc.
  • Commercial Pro restaurant griddle (yes, we've had retailers tell us putting in an outdoor covered kitchen is fine).

What makes an "outdoor" griddle worthy of being called "outdoor".  Any reason not to consider the SS 304 pro restaurant options?

Thanks for thoughts on griddle options!

Comments

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    My suggestion is to think really hard whether you are going to actually use it all the time. If not, just get a tabletop blackstone. I've had 2 different size blackstones and got tired of the hassle after awhile. They are a pain to clean and maintain. Unless you plan on using and cleaning it religiously I would definitely not spend the $$ on a blaze or the like.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    . If not, just get a tabletop blackstone. I've had 2 different size blackstones and got tired of the hassle after awhile. They are a pain to clean and maintain. Unless you plan on using and cleaning it religiously 
    I AGREE! While a Blackstone of ANY size seems cool for a short while you need to realize what @TEXASBGE2018 said is SO CORRECT...they are a pita to keep clean and if you or your wife or kids get sick of the thought of bugs crawling in over and all around during the night OR like in our case we have raccoons which trashed my first Blackstone for the grease cup and wrecked the table the Blackstone was sitting on.

Then if none of the above bothered you just realize that Blackstone splatters grease when cooking since you have no high powered range hood above it like the restaurants do!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    I'll be the polar opposite. Go for it. Griddles are awesome! Throw some type of hard cover over it and you shouldn't have much of an issue with it. Soft covers don't do much good. The key is to use them often. I can't help with specific models but I'd go with a built in griddle if it was in the cards. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    @JClark I plan on going with a ss commercial unit. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    edited April 2021
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    I'll be the polar opposite. Go for it. Griddles are awesome! Throw some type of hard cover over it and you shouldn't have much of an issue with it. Soft covers don't do much good. The key is to use them often. I can't help with specific models but I'd go with a built in griddle if it was in the cards. 
    I reread your post. I thought it was all or nothing for a griddle. I'd go with a portable griddle and save the space for a prep area. 

The Blackstone is a love/hate relationship. I really like the griddle itself. I'm not the biggest fan of the quality of the build. The newer pro Blackstone model griddles seem to be a little nicer than the previous models. You pay for what you get. You could always start with a Blackstone and see how much you use it. You can always upgrade later. I'd stick with a portable one if that's an option. Just my two cents....
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited April 2021
    Options
    If I was building a dedicated outdoor kitchen and had enough room to spare I would go with a full size built in commercial griddle.  If they offer them in 3/4”-1” thick plate stainless that would be ideal. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    Options
    I have a blaze 40 inch gas built in, I have a full size griddle insert.  I went thru the same issue. I dont use it enuff to need a built in.  But the full size insert works awesome.

Columbus, Ohio
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    Options
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    i'm more a fan of building the outdoor workspace, and keeping the cooking gadgets stand-alone vs. built-in. 

The 48" counter space would be more useful to me. You could bust out a smaller blackstone griddle for when you needed it. Or an induction stove. Or a roccbox/uuni. Or just use the larger workspace, if you need it.  

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JClark
    Options
    Great info.  We aren't planning on a gasser in our outdoor kitchen.  We have one, haven't used it once in the past 7 years since getting a BGE.  We're actually planning for a second BGE to give us dual temp cook options

We definitely have raccoons - so the potential damage to an exposed grill is a reality.

For those that pull out the table top options when needed - are you feeding them with the 5 gallon LP tanks, or the smaller camp size ones?  Wondering if we go that route what accommodation we should plan for fuel.

• Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    If I was building a dedicated outdoor kitchen and had enough room to spare I would go with a full size built in commercial griddle.  If they offer them in 3/4”-1” thick plate stainless that would be ideal. 
    There are no commercial griddles that I know of that have a stainless plate. Most are polished steel. The high end ones have a hard chrome surface, but even those are hard to find as the cost is very high.
  • Tspud1
    Options
    jdMyers said:
    I have a blaze 40 inch gas built in, I have a full size griddle insert.  I went thru the same issue. I dont use it enuff to need a built in.  But the full size insert works awesome.

where does the grease go???
  • Tspud1
    Options
    JClark said:
    Great info.  We aren't planning on a gasser in our outdoor kitchen.  We have one, haven't used it once in the past 7 years since getting a BGE.  We're actually planning for a second BGE to give us dual temp cook options

We definitely have raccoons - so the potential damage to an exposed grill is a reality.

For those that pull out the table top options when needed - are you feeding them with the 5 gallon LP tanks, or the smaller camp size ones?  Wondering if we go that route what accommodation we should plan for fuel.

There are about 22,000BTU's in a pound of propane. Griddles are rated as if burner is on full which
    most dont do. You turn on gte hot and then turn down while cooking. Most 20 pound tabks will work.
    Camp Chef FTG600 model is 32"
  • JClark
    Options
    Tspud1 said:
    JClark said:

There are about 22,000BTU's in a pound of propane. Griddles are rated as if burner is on full which
    most dont do. You turn on gte hot and then turn down while cooking. Most 20 pound tabks will work.
    For an install like the above - whether Camp Chef, the Sam's MM version, Blackstone, etc - most manuals say 3 feet from other surface and have side light options when the igniter stops working.  What are folks doing to mitigate risk of fires and ensure adequate air flow for operation for these installed like this?

We. are planning for using prefab free standing base cabinets (currently favoring Challenger Designs), so the interior of the cabinet will not be open.

The back side of our base cabinets will be a deck railing - so front access for grease collection and cleaning is a must.  Preferable to be under the griddle that to the side as above - just so it doesn't get knocked down while in use. 
  • Tspud1
    Options
    JClark said:
    Tspud1 said:
    JClark said:

For an install like the above - whether Camp Chef, the Sam's MM version, Blackstone, etc - most manuals say 3 feet from other surface and have side light options when the igniter stops working.  What are folks doing to mitigate risk of fires and ensure adequate air flow for operation for these installed like this?

We. are planning for using prefab free standing base cabinets (currently favoring Challenger Designs), so the interior of the cabinet will not be open.

The back side of our base cabinets will be a deck railing - so front access for grease collection and cleaning is a must.  Preferable to be under the griddle that to the side as above - just so it doesn't get knocked down while in use. 
    That was a picture sent to me by someone I sold the cover to. I warned him after seeing that about clearance issues.