Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Genius Shutdown procedure?

Options
Did a 13.5 hour Brisket cook yesterday using my Egg Genius for the first time.  Temp control was fabulous, no problems maintaining 225 before wrap.  Problem came when shutting down and realizing I had no procedure for blocking air flow at the bottom vent.  Removed the insert where the Genius hooks up and bent it while removing.  Some tool work straightened the insert and looked online and here for better solutions.  Thought about a wood plug and wonder if that is good idea or not as it would be combustible.  Any ideas or solutions are welcome.  The Genius is Eggtastic except for this minor inconvenience.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If you snuff it on top, the fire should extinguish just fine unless you have a large leak in your gasket.
    I’m having trouble understanding what the problem is.  When you’re done with the controller remove it and the door insert and close the bottom vent.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I think his point is: it sucks to remove the blower assembly, in fact, so much so, he damaged it last time...and is there *another* solution.
    Options
    ....also...if you use it every time, why take it off just to snuff the fire...
    Options
    I usually just remove the blower and adapter and close the bottom vent. Never had any issues that required "tool work" to straighten out the adapter.
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    Options
    Does the insert slide in from the right? If so, to avoid bending the insert, make sure you have maximum clearance between the vent and the leg to its right.
    canuckland