Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

How to treat new BGE handle?

loco_engrloco_engr Posts: 4,739
so after getting new bands installed on my large, I'm wondering how to treat the new wood handle.
TIA

aka marysvilleksegghead, moved to Basehor,KS 2/26/2021
Lrg 2008
mini 2009

Henny Youngman:
I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'

Bob Hope:

When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap

Comments

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 36,924
    3 or 4 coats of spar polyurethane (like Helmsman).  Sand lightly between coats.

• loco_engrloco_engr Posts: 4,739
    grit recomendation?
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009

Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'

Bob Hope:

When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap

• WeberWhoWeberWho Posts: 8,961
    loco_engr said:
    grit recomendation?
    Extra fine steel wool will do the trick
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • TheToastTheToast Posts: 350
    Does that advice go for old handles too? Mine is 6yrs old and looks dirty and gross. 
  • jdMyersjdMyers Posts: 604
    Take a look at jjgeorge and get a custom
    Columbus, Ohio
  • alaskanassasinalaskanassasin Posts: 4,109
    TheToast said:
    Does that advice go for old handles too? Mine is 6yrs old and looks dirty and gross. 

You would have to start over by sanding it down to something that looks presentable and then sealing.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.
    TheToast said:

You would have to start over by sanding it down to something that looks presentable and then sealing.
    Matte dirty and gross looks dirty and gross but glossy dirty and gross is hip and fashionable.   That said, I'd follow your advice for the handle.

loco_engr said:
    grit recomendation?
    220.  You just want to rough up the surface so the next coat sticks and smooth out any high spots.  Don't sand off the last coat, just a quick, light sanding.

• ToxarchToxarch Posts: 1,900
    Forget the Minwax. Go with the Man-O-War Marine Spar Varnish. Costs more but it will last longer even with just one or two coats. I did not sand.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

Toxarch said:
    Forget the Minwax. Go with the Man-O-War Marine Spar Varnish. Costs more but it will last longer even with just one or two coats. I did not sand.
    WOW . . . looks great
    After a little searching, couldn't find pt or qt cans  :angry:

Lrg 2008
    mini 2009

Henny Youngman:

Bob Hope:

• womauswomaus Posts: 169
    Geez guys....it's like you've got nothing else to do.

Cook food. Use the handle with greasy hands. Cook more food. Use the handle with greasy hands.

Lrg 2008
    mini 2009

Henny Youngman:

Bob Hope:

That's fine.  The type of spar varnish matters little.  Using any other type of finish would be much less durable.

That's fine.  The type of spar varnish matters little.  Using any other type of finish would be much less durable.
    I just couldn't see me trying to spraying the back side of the handle as opposed to brushing on a liquid but I appreciate your input
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009

Henny Youngman:

Bob Hope:

• ToxarchToxarch Posts: 1,900
    loco_engr said:
    Toxarch said:
    WOW . . . looks great
    After a little searching, couldn't find pt or qt cans  :angry:

I think I got mine from Rockler. I was using it on the whole egg table so I was buying the gallons. Had leftovers and thought it would be great on the handle. The UV protection helps.

Amazon has quarts in a pinch:
    https://www.amazon.com/Man-Spar-Varnish-Gloss-Quart/dp/B000HEHESU/ref=sr_1_16?dchild=1&keywords=Man-O-War+Marine+Spar+Varnish&qid=1618281738&sr=8-16
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.