Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

outdoor kitchen - lighting suggestions

So, we are planning for an outdoor covered kitchen area.  The covered area will be freestanding and use corrugated steel over a wood frame and angled like a lean-to roof.  We are already planning on a single ceiling fan box to allow for air movement.  The kitchen will be a "U" shape work area with an overhang for seating on the outside of one side.

I'd prefer not to identify and install dedicated light fixture boxes for every overhead light.  Conceptually, I'd like the flexibility of track lighting and a mix of ceiling height fixtures over work areas and pendants over the eating bar.

However, I've only found one outdoor rated track lighting system - it's expensive - only has ceiling fixtures and it's based on 12v landscape type fixtures (12 volt, 2 channel wire installed in a rigid track the the light fixtures use a vampire type. connection when securing to the track).

So, that got me thinking - has anyone used the 12V LED stake landscape lights for overhead lighting?  Other suggestions on lighting products/solutions (we would prefer not to light the kitchen area with string lights).

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I don't have any answers, but just a couple questions.  You can put in diffuse or spot lighting...or a combination. Figure out what you want and where you want it.  Also, pick a light temp and stick with it so you don't have an off-putting combination of colors.  I stick with 5000k, which is close to natural sunlight in the middle of the day.  You might want to go warmer.  I would advise avoiding cooler.

Understanding Lumens vs Kelvin  LED Lighting Wholesale Inc Blog

Spot lighting is like floods, can be aimed, creates shadows. Diffuse lighting is spread out.  Also consider dimmers.  There is a commercial standard for dimming that uses a 0-10V DC control circuit with no current to control output.  Or use AC dimmers that handle the load, make sure your fixtures and lights support what you want.
    Volt Lighting has some downlight products that they sell including a post mount fixture that could work.

I've used a lot of their products and have been impressed with the quality all solid brass, fast shipping too.
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,129
    I stick with 5000k, which is close to natural sunlight in the middle of the day.  You might want to go warmer.  I would advise avoiding cooler. 
    Sunlight in the middle of the day is 6500k or greater. I prefer Warmer at the house just because we’ve used incandescent for do long.  Also warmer temps will make the food seem more like you’re used to

look at RAB lighting for spot/ flood options.  I swear they had one that was an adjustable beam from wide to narrow spot
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • JClark
    JClark Posts: 23
    I don't have any answers, but just a couple questions.  You can put in diffuse or spot lighting...or a combination. Figure out what you want and where you want it.  Also, pick a light temp and stick with it so you don't have an off-putting combination of colors.  I stick with 5000k, which is close to natural sunlight in the middle of the day.  You might want to go warmer.  I would advise avoiding cooler.

Understanding Lumens vs Kelvin  LED Lighting Wholesale Inc Blog

Spot lighting is like floods, can be aimed, creates shadows. Diffuse lighting is spread out.  Also consider dimmers.  There is a commercial standard for dimming that uses a 0-10V DC control circuit with no current to control output.  Or use AC dimmers that handle the load, make sure your fixtures and lights support what you want.
    We have extensive landscape lights in the same area for pathway/stair lights that are 3200K - so we'd like to stick with a "white" that is similar for a consistent look.  I also considered tying into that same system for some under counter lighting under the bar area.  We use those lights/system more for safety lighting and are now looking for task lighting with options to dim when not needed as bright.

I'll check out Volt and RAB for options.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    xfire_ATX said:
    I stick with 5000k, which is close to natural sunlight in the middle of the day.  You might want to go warmer.  I would advise avoiding cooler. 
    Sunlight in the middle of the day is 6500k or greater. I prefer Warmer at the house just because we’ve used incandescent for do long.  Also warmer temps will make the food seem more like you’re used to

look at RAB lighting for spot/ flood options.  I swear they had one that was an adjustable beam from wide to narrow spot
    Maybe I phrased that wrong.  The average sunlight temp is 5600K.  Gets more red with sunrise/sunset and more blue with clouds.