Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE vs Ooni

Options
Tjcoley
Tjcoley Posts: 3,551

Haven’t posted here in a while due to work relocation and being away from my Egg most of the past couple of years.  Back home and Egging again, and need to confess I'm cheating.  Recently got an Ooni pizza oven and I’ve noticed a number of posts from folks who also cook on a Big Green Egg.  In my short time here with my Ooni K16, and many years with a BGE, I’m picking up a lot of similarities between these two great cookers and those who use them. 

Passionate owners with brand loyalty

You will eventually spend more on 'stuff' for the cooker than you did for the cooker - Peels, thermometers, proofing containers, gloves, tables,  cover, cast iron pans, beer, bourbon......

There are a lot of cool setups/tables being used

The community is always willing to help out with advice or to answer questions

There are many ways to bake a pizza/smoke a brisket.  Most of them work fine

The more you cook, the better your results

You can plan a great party around your cooker

Build up of residue in your BGE/Ooni?  Fire that baby up and burn off the food. 

Everyone has a favorite flour/rib rub/lump

Share your recipes 

Even cooks that don’t go perfectly can still taste great

It’s important to let your cooker come up to temp before adding food

You can cook pizza or steak on either cooker

Temp control is important

Start to finish, the process can be long - days making then proofing your dough vs an all day/overnight low and slo brisket cook. Both well worth the wait. 

Pictures or it didn’t happen

You can sear a great steak in a pizza oven in 4 minutes. Makes good pizza as well