Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bavarian Rustic Pork Roast

Options
Teefus
Teefus Posts: 1,208
I did an herb crusted roast this weekend. I started by soaking a rolled shoulder roast in a brine for 12 hours. Salt/brown sugar with some added spices. Once removed and patted dry, I coated it with yellow mustard as a binder, then gave the exterior a heavy dose of Kosher salt, crushed brown mustard, rosemary, garlic, thyme, bay leaf and sage. It went on the Egg with 300* dome temp for five hours total. I foil wrapped for the last hour and pulled at about 210* internal. After a 30 minute rest it came out of the foil and was sliced the best I could muster. It was super tender and the herbal flavor deeply permeated the meat. Way yummy!
Michiana, South of the border.

Comments

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    You forgot to attach a photo!  Sounds good, but I eat with my eyes.  :smile:
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Teefus
    Options
    Didn't take any. Bride of Teefus mocks me when I photograph food, and she's beaten me down  ;). It looked pretty much like an herb crusted pork roast.
  • A1_on_A5
    A1_on_A5 Posts: 21
    Options
    It would have sliced better pulling it at a lower temp. 185-190 range
    Medium BGE
    Somewhere in NC
  • bgeBill
    bgeBill Posts: 19
    Options
    Teefus,  How do you form the rolled shoulder roast. Start with a butt?  Slice thickness in half before rolling?

Noticed you added salt in the rub after brining. Any concerns about over salting end product?
    Greenwood, IN. /  XL BGE   /  retired engineer 
  • Teefus
    edited March 2021
    Options
    A1_on_A5 said:
    It would have sliced better pulling it at a lower temp. 185-190 range
    Yup, but we wanted it falling apart. Bride of Teefus likes it tender.

bgeBill said:
    Teefus,  How do you form the rolled shoulder roast. Start with a butt?  Slice thickness in half before rolling?

Noticed you added salt in the rub after brining. Any concerns about over salting end product?
    It was basically half a butt that I got at the butcher. They called it a rolled roast and it was trussed up in a net bag. Really no rolling on this hunk o' hog.

The brine was a pretty mild one. Taste test prior to application revealed a mild saltiness. When I say heavy dose above I'm referring to the whole spice rub. The salt component was not very high. I've tried the same spice mix without adding some salt and it's not as good. At the end of the cook the salt balance was perfect.
  • bgeBill
    bgeBill Posts: 19
    Options
    Thanks Teefus. I’ve been thinking about cutting a coppa roast from a butt. Wondered if that might be what you used?

On a side note, what town do you live near?  Many years ago, I worked for Allis Chalmers in Laporte.  I also worked for Choretime Brock in Milford. 
    Greenwood, IN. /  XL BGE   /  retired engineer 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Teefus said:
    Didn't take any. Bride of Teefus mocks me when I photograph food, and she's beaten me down  ;). It looked pretty much like an herb crusted pork roast.
    You don’t say!? 😉
  • Teefus
    edited March 2021
    Options
    bgeBill said:
    Thanks Teefus. I’ve been thinking about cutting a coppa roast from a butt. Wondered if that might be what you used?

On a side note, what town do you live near?  Many years ago, I worked for Allis Chalmers in Laporte.  I also worked for Choretime Brock in Milford. 
    Not sure if it was a Coppa or not. I've done loin roasts the same way and they are very good, but the lower fat content makes the consistency more like a tender chop. The rub was "Bavarian" from Penzeys Spices. It works great on all manner of pork cuts. It's especially good on ribs. It turns them into a whole different experience, letting the smoke and pork flavor come through.

I live near South Bend and work in Goshen.