Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rust on the Egg

Options
I just bought our SIL a used Egg.  It has rust stains from the daisy wheel being left out in the rain.  Seller said that they pressure washed and sanded!? it.  The rust stains are still there and are more conspicuous after a recent rain.  The daisy wheel is not on it right now.
Any suggestions to remove the rust stains?  My wife suggested Barkeeper's Friend.
Concord, CA

Comments

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Heat it up, burn it off either in the egg, or in the oven.  Then, season it like you would a good cast iron pan.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,122
    Options
    I just bought our SIL a used Egg.  It has rust stains from the daisy wheel being left out in the rain.  Seller said that they pressure washed and sanded!? it.  The rust stains are still there and are more conspicuous after a recent rain.  The daisy wheel is not on it right now.
    Any suggestions to remove the rust stains?  My wife suggested Barkeeper's Friend.
    Rust stains are on the Egg?  Any pictures?  I would think it would wipe off with something like simple green.  However, not really sure what the sanding did to the glaze and may have opened up the pores more.  In that case she might be stuck with the stains.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Shoot, I thought the DAISY Wheel had rust stains.  I see now that it's the egg.  Sorry for my misunderstanding.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @Langner91: You might have been right that OP meant the daisy wheel itself. Not evident based on the description. I would imagine that the glaze coating of the Egg itself would make it hard for rust to permeate, but perhaps OP can clarify or provide photos. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Your best bets are one of these common acids: phosphoric acid, oxalic acid, citric acid (sour salt), hydrochloric acid (muriatic acid), sulfuric (best avoided), acetic acid (vinegar) and nitric acid (the best, but harder to find).

Or buy some rust remover.
    Options
    All of those should be fairly safe for the glaze at dilute concentrations, but I would not leave them on longer than necessary.  You can neutralize any acid with baking soda.
    Thank you all.  Yes, the rust stains are on the Egg itself.  I could not believe that the guy said he sanded it.  It looks like the glaze is intact. 
    Concord, CA
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I would not hesitate to try BK Friend on the exterior.  That stuff is awesome. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • BigreenGreg
    Options
    Assuming it’s on the outside of the Egg, naval jelly at auto parts store, then rinse it several times. 
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    All those things will probably work.  If it's on the outside of the egg, don't be afraid you will contaminate your food.