Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Chicken Salad

Options
Botch
Botch Posts: 15,487
When I first got out on my own, I could cook four things: bacon, eggs, toast, and cheekun salad.  I'd learned the chinese method to cook a juicy breast: bring water to a boil, drop in one or two breasts, slap on a lid and kill the heat; let it set for an hour, and you have perfectly juicy (if bland as hell) chicken breast, which I'd zip up in my $60 Oster with mayo and sometimes celery.  

Haven't made it in decades.  This past week I noticed a recipe for "Smoked Chicken Salad" in the Texas BBQ Monthly newsletter, decided to give it a go:

Smoked Chicken Salad

330 grams smoked chicken*

60 grams celery (1 stalk, halved lengthwise and finely chopped)

30 grams pickles, finely chopped

80 grams mayonnaise
10 grams sugar

20 grams pickle juice or apple cider vinegar

Chopped fresh herbs like parsley, tarragon, or cilantro

A few dashes of your favorite barbecue rub

Juice from 1/8 lemon

Salt to taste

1. Debone the chicken (if necessary) and pull, chop, or mince it. In a large bowl, combine the chicken, celery, and pickles.
  2. Combine the mayonnaise, sugar, and pickle juice, and mix well. Pour the dressing over the chicken/celery/pickle mixture and mix again. Add herbs, barbecue rub, and lemon juice, and mix again, adding salt as needed for taste. I like to let the chicken salad spend a few hours in the refrigerator before eating. Enjoy.

*Be sure to weigh the amount of chicken you use to get the correct ratios for the dressing. The quantities are shown by weight because I swear to you that it is so much easier to cook using a scale when measuring is necessary, and it’s time you bought one.

Are you texans using metric now?  (four thighs weighed 315 grams, so I went with that and eyeballed the rest).  I thought the dressing was a bit bland, thought about adding some minced chipotle en adobo, thought that might clash with the pickle, but saw on another ewetube someone used curry powder; I added a tsp and that was the ticket (I also left out the sugar, and forgot the rub).  

Toasted some weird buns, made two sammiches w/the salad, tomato, lettuce, and cheese on one and a bit more mayo on the other (the mayo was better).  These were good.

As I mentioned on my "Question for CenTex Smoker" thread, this time I dropped a small chunk of cherry into the bottom of the LBGE bowl, below the KAB, then lit the lump top-dead-center as I usually do.  I didn't notice any "dirty" smoke coming out of the egg as I had when burying the chunk off to the side, so I think this may be my new method; the cheekun tasted great and the chunk was used up at the end of the cook.  

While browsing videos on chicken salad (Retirement: Life in the Fast Lane) I came across Sam the Cooking Guy's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB5559o0sCM

He did a neat trick that I'm also gonna try.  He started with a pre-rotisseried chicken from the supermarket, and then carefully peeled the skin off in one (well, two) pieces (insert some Hannibal Lector morbidity here), layed them flat on a wire rack, and then hit them, both sides, with a blowtorch, making the skin deeper brown, toasted, and amazing; oh Hellz Yeah!  He used that skin as the top layer of his sammich (bacon on the bottom.  Bacon?) and I bet that's delicious!  

This is definitely into my rotation, especially this summer when it gets hot.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Sam is a bit hard to take more often than not... but damn, that's a FINE lookin' chicken salad sammich!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• TrippleRipple
    Options
    Your sammiches look fantastic! I'm inspired for lunches now. I think I'm going to use hot giardiniera in place of the pickles.

I also watched Sam's video (I love that guy) and the chicken skin and bacon looks amazing!!

Thanks for sharing!! 

Formerly @dharley prior to some password bs.

LBGE, 36" Blackstone, bad liver & a broken heart

Three Rivers, MI
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Sam is a bit hard to take more often than not... but damn, that's a FINE lookin' chicken salad sammich!

I've been watching him for about a dozen years and his schtick can be somewhat annoying at times but I still keep watching and have bought all his cookbooks so I guess I'm a fan. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited February 2021
    Options
    We make chicken salad often and it's always different.  In addition to what you posted we add various versions of onion, boiled eggs, fresh and/or pickled jalepenos, sriacha, various versions of mustard, horseradish, never sugar, minced cabbage, and probably other things that are lying around. I heart chicken salad.
    NOLA
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    4:30 AM and I’m want a chicken salad sammich 😂

looks great!
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Looks good. I'm a fan of lettuce and tomato a little bit of mayonnaise on the bread. Preferably the wide white or potato bread. My chicken salad I use cream cheese and mayo,pecans and green onion and celery. My sister makes chicken salad with grapes and pineapple. It's pretty good. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Try dehydrated onion flakes.
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Cheekun, ewetube and sammich.

If you could have included pokchop, it woulda be a nails-on-chalkboard Grand Slam!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Botch
    Options
    Aww.  
    It's spelled "pokechop".  :tongue:  

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Botch said:
    Aww.  
    It's spelled "pokechop".  :tongue:  
    Thanks. I hate it. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Botch
    Options
    I see that.   :)